Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

Birdseye View

20 March 2017 | St. Marys, GA
Capn Andy/mild winter
It was time to return to working on the big catamaran and the installation of the new large Bomar hatches. I had cut out the hatch coamings to accept the new hatches and added new wood to the perimeter of the coamings to compensate for the wood removed. In order to get a perfect fit, I taped off the mating surface of the hatches and bedded them down on the coamings with an epoxy filler. When I now removed the hatches it was apparent that the filler hadn't filled all the space between the hatches and the coaming. I mixed up a new batch of filler, retaped the surface of the hatches, and jammed it all back together. Due to the cold weather it will take a few days to be sure the filler has set up.
.
Meanwhile the canoe received a coat of "sand beige" paint on its decks and gunwales. On the one hand it made the decks all one color, on the other hand it revealed some rough spots in the finish.
.
Sad news from Captain Lou who lost his boat in St. Andrew's Inlet. Lou was the fellow who rowed so forcefully just before hurricane Matthew and we set additional anchors for our two boats. His Sea Sprite was a very pretty, well maintained boat and hearing that he had lost it was startling. How could such a capable boat and skipper come to grief? He believes that an old rudder repair failed. He could not control the boat and ended up getting pounded on a shoal until the boat began to take on water. He was rescued by the Coast Guard and was heartbroken, but not injured.
.
I did some work on the mast and rig. I had one of the Lewmar blocks that had failed, but the sheave was still good. Then I had a Harken block whose sheave had disappeared. I ripped apart (it was half apart anyway) the Lewmar to get the sheave, tried a 1/2" bolt as an axle for the sheave, it worked, then drilled the Harken block to accommodate the bolt. Now I had a good single block to use on the mast. The Garhauer block from Sailor's Exchange was mounted at the masthead for the spinnaker halyard. The remaining blocks were Harken, even if one had a Lewmar sheave, and they were used for the staysail halyard and topsail halyard. The foot of the mast had been damaged and about 2" were cut off to make the foot square again. The main halyard winch was jammed with its handle corroded in place. It looks like I will replace the jib and main halyard winches with some leftover 2 speed winches.
.
Radio Bill sent me an unexpected email with a photo he took while up his mast. It shows Kaimu and Richard's Antigua side by side. Richard's boat looks pristine, Kaimu not so much. You can see the cabin tops and rear decks are painted on Kaimu, new solar panels in place, new forward hatches in place but not yet bedded in.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups