Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
23 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
23 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

D4 Launchie

The laptop pooped the bed, so I have to scurry around with alternatives. Not as bad as typing on the phone.

17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

Oriental NC to Ft. Lauderdale FL

05 October 2017 | Oriental, NC
Capn Andy/cool and calm
The delivery started with our trip up to Oriental, NC, using a one-way rental car. This was on short notice. Our original plan was to reserve a car, pick it up, and then leave the next morning, take a day travel up to the boat, stay overnight, get underway the next morning. It didn’t happen that way. The owner called just before noon and said he had insurance OK to travel South into Florida.
.
We waited for the car rental guy to pick us up and actually saw him drive through the boatyard without stopping. It ended up taking an hour and a half to actually get the rental. He made several explanations about why he didn’t stop and why he ended up taking two trips to pick us up, never having taken along our cell number, or asking anyone in the boatyard where we were.
.
On the road the wind was kicking the car back and forth and it felt barely controllable. The skipper said, “Stop right now”, so I did. We looked around at the tires, expecting to see a deflation, but all looked OK. He drove for a while and took several cell phone calls. I felt nervous and suggested I drive. We stopped for a break and I drove for a while. A warning light came on on the tachometer. It suggested we had a tire inflation problem. The skipper confirmed this by looking through the car’s owner’s manual. We stopped at a gas station to reinflate the bad tire, but to our amazement the first tire checked out at 70 psi. The skipper went around checking and deinflating tires, or adding air as needed. I assisted by taking off the valve caps and putting them back on as he went around. Someone had sabotaged the car by overinflating the left front and right rear tires up to around 70 pounds per square inch and deflating the right front and left rear below 30 lbs.
.
The car now steered normally. The drive up I-95 was something like 5 hours to Fayetteville in North Carolina, then we got off and took local roads for another couple of hours to New Bern, dropped the car off, and were picked up by the owner. It was now getting very late and we were cursing the stupid car rental guy that delayed us, and wondering if he had altered the car after we gave him a hard time on the phone, before he picked us up.
.
The next day we were making preparations for getting underway and I logged onto Smart Chart AIS, which also has Active Captain. The entry for the marina, River Dunes, in Oriental, NC, had reviews. It is obviously a beautiful marina, but the first review gave it 6 stars out of 5. All the other reviews were equally stellar. The rates were very reasonable and I would highly recommend this marina.
.
The image is a shot of the marina at daybreak.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups