Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Bahama Bank

07 November 2017 | Great Bahama Bank
Capn Andy/85 degree Tradewinds
When I got up for my morning 8 AM to 11 AM watch, I got up almost an hour early. The boat was shaking us around again. Ron was on watch and had let out a bit of the jib. He said maybe we should roll it back up to where it was, I said no, we’d be OK. We got a huge roll on an unusual wave and I heard things clank down below. One of the barf buckets slid across the cockpit, an ominous sign.
.
Down below, my precious pot of coffee was nowhere to be seen. Coffee grounds and coffee were splattered all around the stove, all over the clean dishes in the dish drain. The coffee pot had vanished behind the stove, leaving a debris trail down there. Fortunately I knew how to disassemble the stove top to simplify the cleaning process. Unfortunately in the middle of the cleaning, the boat rolled again and the stove top, which is on a hinge, swung back down on the back of my hand, also smearing a coffee grounds stain onto my otherwise clean tee-shirt. Nautical language followed. I cleaned things up and started another pot of coffee, rinsed the shirt with cold water and repeatedly squeezed out the stain, but it will still be there, although faint, I will always see it and grumble.
.
The wind was up and down, from low teens to 20 knots, and the seas likewise would go from benign to large rollers. It would be like this till we got to the Old Bahama Channel which blocks any seas from the East with its shoals.
.
We will arrive there sometime in the middle of the night, then begin a gradual arc to the northeast and meet up with the Gulf Stream on our approach to Miami. The owner had found a slip on the Miami River and we should be able to pass our mast under the 3 75 foot clearance bridges along the way. We think our air draft is about 73 1/2 feet.
.
The forecast is for the North wind to slowly clock around to the ENE and drop to about 10 knots. If we arrive at the Gulf Stream with an East wind, that is good, if we still have a North wind, not so good. It would be nice to ride the Gulf Stream for a bit and pick up that strong current on our last leg.
.
All three of us were on deck somehow, so I said I would make an early lunch out of the mahi filets and sauteed them. I made sandwiches with big thick mahi pieces and a sauce made of mayo and catsup. There are still 2 1/2 filets in the fridge but time is running out to use them. Still good right now. The boxes of muffins are down to just 3 muffins, but they are now moldy. No more muffins. The bags of bread, hoagie rolls, have been in use for the mahi, for peanut butter sandwiches, and maybe we’ll have burgers later today and use of more of them. They were originally two dozen rolls and now we’ve started into the second dozen and I hope they don’t turn out like the muffins. Otherwise we have tons of food, yogurt, eggs, small ham, hot dogs, salad greens and sweet peppers, onions, mushrooms, plus we have dry goods, pasta, pasta sauce, canned tuna, and a couple of chocolate bars. There are two ripening avocados, pico de galo, and with one of the onions we can make guacamole.
.
After eating the messy mahi sandwiches we talked about the new destination on the Miami River, a slip at a private residence. The owner has made arrangements but he has again made a
questionable choice. We are sure the mast is at least 73 feet off the water, maybe 74 1/2 feet, and on the Miami River are at least two fixed bridges listed as having 75 feet of clearance.
.
The wind is veering, or clocking, going aft on our starboard reach now becoming a broad reach. Apparent wind has dropped and our speed is hovering around 6 1/2. Acceptable but not cheering us as the 7‘s and 8‘s had. The owner had wondered why we felt like we were flying at 8 knots but feel like we are standing still at 6. The boat seems to come alive at the higher speeds.
.
A new satellite phone call to the owner has us going to Palm Beach to finish the delivery instead of Miami. I was now going off watch and made egg drop soup by dropping beaten eggs into a quart of Knorr chicken noodle soup made from a dry mix.
.
I couldn’t sleep and once again it was the chinese firedrill on deck in a rain squall. We were becoming well trained in reducing sail, getting wet in the rain, and getting the boat settle down in high winds. This time the wind also abated and we were poking along at 6 1/2 knots. I made popcorn down below and reviewed the detailed chart of the entrance at Old Bahama Channel. The channel shoals from over 1000 meters to 2 at the edge of the channel. The distance from our waypoint to the shoal is only about 2 1/2 miles.
.
The rain squall was one of a bunch that blocked our view of other shipping, and they sent wet rain onto the cockpit bimini making the only relatively dry spot the lee cockpit seat up forward under the dodger. A ship astern disappeared in the rain and didn’t reappear after the squall passed. I heard intermittent chatter on the VHF and saw two lights to the North. It was in the vicinity of the shoals that lie along the right side of the Old Bahama Channel. Perhaps they were Cuban fishermen talking to each other on the radios and fishing on the bank.
.
After going off watch and getting some sleep I was on duty again and relieved Ron. I made a couple of super egg toasties for us for breakfast. We were sailing up the Old Bahama Channel and a lot of shipping was coming in the opposite direction but well spaced away from us to the southwest. We were to the northeast of the westbound lane, kind of like being on the shoulder of a super highway. I kept moving waypoints so that our track ran closer to the shoal and allowed plenty of room for ship traffic.
.
Skipper came on to relieve me and spent considerable time studying the chart of the Bahama bank. We altered course to cross the bank, avoiding an 11 foot depth near the edge. We had about 25 feet average depth along our new route.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups