Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

A Walk in the Park

26 December 2017 | st marys, ga
Capn Andy/chilly winter
I had a couple of negative shopping experiences for the holiday season, both involved long waits for ordinary products. I wasn’t looking for quick shipping this time of year, but please, Amazon waited a week to finally ship a box of grinding discs and a roll of Gorilla tape. And that is just to ship it, it hasn’t gotten here yet. I am grinding on my boat during the holidays, so at least add to my woes by sending along the tools of my torture, but no, they hesitate. At least I will get a break from the dirty grinding work. I won’t feel guilty taking the time off. The other negative shipment was bicycle handlebar tape, which did arrive, after a while, and was only 1/2 of the tape needed to do the handlebars, and also only 1 end plug. Gee, which end should I put it in. Other items have come along right quickly, so I am able to cope with these two awful holiday shipments.
.
The grinding has gone well using 36 and 40 grit flap discs. They don’t last long before they lose their bite and begin burnishing the old paint instead of taking it off. It then gums up the disc. The indication of this burnishing is a dark color to the surface, kind of shiny like wet paint. If you back off and let the disc cool down a bit, you can go back at it for a little while. If the paint doesn’t melt on the disc you can go on like this for quite a while.
.
Having two grinders set up can help keep either one of them getting too hot. It helps to have an extension cord with multiple outlets. I began looking for my triple headed extension cord, but it was gone, another yardbird must have expropriated it. While I was looking around, a yardbird from the past showed up and paid me some money he owed, and told me the story of his Moroccan boat delivery. Actually from Morocco to Scandinavia, but they only made it to Spain. Their prop fell off backing down, and after replacement, the second prop fell off during sea trials. The owner had the boat laid up on the hard and pulled the plug on the delivery.
.
The skipper meanwhile has gone to Grenada to look at a catamaran. He has sold his monohull sailboat. I suggested he might need help getting the boat back here from Grenada and he said why would I come back here.
.
When it is cold and rainy I can stay inside and try to render the old Map Tech maps I have, and get them into a form I can use with OpenCPN. I will post the documentation of that process later when I have actually worked out all the bugs. THE COMPUTER GUY happened to be doing laundry in the communal area of the gulag and I talked to him about shell scripts and gave him copies of my files on a thumbdrive for him to look at. Meanwhile I have gone at it on my own and proudly have produced some images that are viewable, but not yet OpenCPNable. The maps are Imray-Iolaire charts and are nice looking even if 20 years old. One problem I see coming up in the near future is the MapCal procedure, which requires lat and long of a few points near the perimeter of the map. Some of the maps are smaller insets that have no lat and long information on them. In fact the organization is one large map and a half dozen of the insets. The large map can probably be calibrated, the insets are going to be a problem. I love looking at charts and these are very nicely done. There is notation for piloting into some of the ports, something we could have used on the Caribbean delivery.
.
I wanted to use one of the chart images as the header for this posting, but instead I have a favorite photo from the recent walk in the park and will post that.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups