Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

Dowry Creek to North Landing River

16 September 2018 | Willoughby Bay, VA
Capn Andy/post hurricane
The topic of interest is hurricane Florence which is forecast to hit the coast in the Carolinas and head inland. The marina has changed hands in the two years since I was here last and the new owners showed me photos of how the marina fared during hurricane Floyd. The pier was totally underwater and the grounds were flooded about halfway up the first floor.
.
My plan is to continue on North, up the ICW, and hope to get out of harm’s way on the Chesapeake. Today is a rest day, Monday. Do some shopping, do laundry, get the boat ready for the next leg of the trip.
.
This marina is convenient as a fuel stop, the first place for fuel for boats coming through the Pungo Alligator River Canal. It has a swimming pool, comfortable lounge, laundry, and courtesy car. Both courtesy cars were in the shop, so the owners taxied us around to run our errands. Another transient boat from Long Island and crewed by two brothers had arrived about the same time I did, so we traveled around running identical errands. There are no signs anywhere showing that there is a marina here. On the way back from shopping we were stuck behind a big tractor trailer that was creeping along. We pulled up alongside and rolled down the window and the driver said he was looking for Dowry Creek Marina.
.
When I found this marina 2 years ago, I had an app called Smart Chart AIS, which was useless as an AIS app, but included something called Active Captain, which was very useful. Active Captain was an app that was updated by fellow sailors and included reviews of marinas, fuel docks, fuel prices, good or bad. Since then Garmin took over Active Captain and now restricts the app to Garmin devices, i.e. no more smart phone app. This is a great loss to sailors who really need to find fuel docks, etc., while traveling.
.
I made preparations for motoring up the ICW, topped up the main tank and filled the jerry cans, bagged the jib, and at the end of the day went out for a pizza at a place called Vinny’s. Their oven is not hot enough which results in a pizza that is soggy in the middle. I often get pizza the night before getting underway, I like pizza, and it keeps well without refrigeration overnight, pizza for breakfast, no cooking.
.
I was hoping to watch Monday Night Football. I am a NY Jets fan and there hasn’t been much to cheer about the last few (50) years. Now they have a new rookie quarterback who is expected to be a star. Unfortunately the lounge at the marina doesn’t get ESPN who are broadcasting the game. Not only that, but the game was blocked from internet radio and the only way I could follow the game was something called game center at nfl.com. There they list the score and a play by play synopsis of the game. When I got there the score was 0-7 and with the Lions up a touchdown at the very beginning of the game when the Jets had won the coin toss and were receiving the ball, it could only mean one thing, the rookie had thrown a pick six, an interception returned for a touchdown. Later he redeemed himself with a pair of touchdowns, while the defense intercepted the Lions 5 times. The score ended up 48-17, Jets.
.
In the morning at daybreak the water was like a glass mirror. I took a few photos. There was a giant cumulonimbus cloud with the rising sun behind it. Later clouds would begin filling in a mostly cloudy sky. The hurricane is expected to arrive in 3 days, late Thursday, and these clouds might be the outer fringe arriving. We got a few small rain showers but things later cleared up.
.
The photo is of the giant cloud backlit by the rising sun.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups