Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Navigatrix 2020

17 November 2020 | St Marys, GA
Cap'n Andy | Perfect Weather
Nothing lasts forever. The Navigatrix operating system I’ve been using for many years has gotten old since its last release. What has transpired now, and the work I’ve had to do, prompts me to write about how to deal with a new release of Navigatrix.
.
It happened this way, I moved to a spare Panasonic Toughbook CF-C1 chassis after I had accidentally stepped on the display of my regular laptop. These laptops feature swappable batteries and hard drives, can convert easily to a tablet, i5 processors, but a rather small display, a display that is also a touch screen, a display that fits in the confines of a boat. The spare chassis did not have working WiFi, so I ordered a WiFi adapter.
.
Most hardware is recognized by Ubuntu, which is Navigatrix’s parent operating system, but the Realtek adapter I purchased was not one of them. After much trial and error I was able to find a route to a driver for Ubuntu for my adapter by using the old chassis with its damaged display. I moved the swappable hard drive to the chassis with the good display and now had internet here in the boatyard. I had been using my Samsung phone for internet for a long time. It was a blessing to work on a laptop again instead of the phone. A blessing in disguise.
.
I needed to deal with an issue on one of my accounts but when I tried to access it there was an error message - “version of browser no longer supported”. I was using the Chromium browser, which is Ubuntu’s version of Google Chrome, I had to upgrade. I then tried the Firefox browser whose home page in Navigatrix is navigatrix.net. It had the same error message, but the home page said, “Navigatrix 2020”. I could upgrade and continue.
..
But, I couldn’t install the newer operating system and overwrite my preferred SSD hard drive, plus I should do the upgrade on something else and see if it worked. I had been using navigatrix for many years with success, it’s an open source free distribution, but now they wanted a donation and hinted a tiny donation would give me a chance for one of the few free downloads meted out. I donated $10 and got an email that gave me access to their regular download. There were 3 versions there, a 64 bit version, a 32 bit PAE, and a 32 bit non-PAE. Which one should I install? I downloaded all 3.
.
I was initially unable to get a thumb drive, USB stick, to boot the operating system. I found a SATA hard drive laying around and a USB to SATA adapter. This involved scrounging around in the Breezeway where I once made pizzas. Hard to believe the mess there was worse than when I was there.
.
I used the “Start Up Disk Creator” to build a bootable start up disk with the 64 bit version on it, on the spare hard drive. Then I tried booting up the laptop on that drive and it did not work. The 32 bit PAE version worked. I was getting brave. I was able to build a bootable USB stick with that version on it. The laptop booted up with the hard drive removed and the USB stick in one of the slots.
.
I couldn’t just overwrite the old hard drive without saving a bunch of data, pictures, documents, operating parameters, so I wiped the spare hard drive on the SATA adapter and transferred a ton of files to it. At the same time it was Pizza Night, so I rose dough, prepped mozzarella, etc., and kept the computer working.
.
Finally I had all the data I thought I could get from the old hard drive, which would become the new hard drive. I changed the BIOS boot sequence to “USB Hard Drive” at the top, stuck the USB stick in and rebooted the laptop. It booted up into the new Navigatrix and on the desktop was an icon for hard drive installation. I activated it and the new distribution was installed on the old hard drive.
.
Success? Well, kind of. I was able to reload the nautical charts I had saved onto the spare drive as well as all the documents, downloads, and a few videos, but after the dust cleared I realized I had overwritten the driver for the WiFi adapter. I was back at square one.
.
Pizza Night was a success, only 3 slices left over. I made ordinary mushroom, pepperoni, and 2 combination pies with both. Not very inventive this week.
.
The next day I restored the wifi adapter driver using the old chassis. Once the adapter was working I could install chromium browser in its latest version.
.
The photo is from Cornelia Marie of Crisfield Town Beach at sunset this past weekend.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups