Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

The Cauldron

28 November 2020 | St Marys, GA
Cap'n Andy | rainy
Another Catalina 30 appears on Boat Angel. This one is nearby to us in Green Cove Springs, FL. It is a 1981 model with a nice bimini, correct midboom traveler, and the engine has been removed. There is no evidence of cushions. Interior looks clean. Might be missing one of the original cabin windows, but they should all be replaced with plexiglass anyway. There is an outboard motor bracket mounted on the transom. There is a solar panel and battery I presume to power a bilge pump. This boat is kind of what SUNSPLASH would have turned out to be if the Atomic Four was unrepairable. Current bid is around $200 and there are 4 days left in the auction. It looks like the stove is missing, but it has DC refrigeration in the icebox.
.
Radio Bill received a small oscilloscope that cost about $30. It would be useful to monitor solar chargers, wind turbine output, and he is using it to troubleshoot his wind instruments. Based on his demonstration of the unit I ordered one from California for $26. It runs on 9VDC and mine may not have the wall wart power supply, but I’d rather power it with a 9v battery.
.
It is Thanksgiving in the boatyard we’ll have no planned feast today nor will we go to St Marys for the town sponsored cruisers Thanksgiving feast. I plan to go shopping tomorrow, Black Friday, and purchase ingredients for my bean soup and Monday’s Pizza Night. I’ll make the soup Saturday and our feast will be in the boatyard on Sunday.
.
The battery desulfation operation continues with some hope of restoring the batteries. We are now getting 8 volts resting charge and it goes up slowly, maybe 1 volt per day. The charger no longer goes into its pulsing desulfation mode, but it may be designed to work the way that it is working.
.
The next day I’m starting the Ole Mole Pork and Bean Soup. A large pot has a colander lowered into it and a bag of 15 bean soup beans is put in the colander. This is so the beans don’t burn on the bottom. An onion is cut into 8ths and put on top of the beans. In a bowl of warm water goes 2 tbs of: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cocoa, balsamic vinegar, and peanut butter. Also fruit preserves, in this case Eve the artist’s fig preserves made with figs from her neighbor’s tree. Next 3 quarts of water and a pork butt. In this case the pork butt wouldn’t fit, so I trimmed it and then it just fit. Liquid smoke and Hawaiian sea salt are sprinkled over the pork. After bringing to a boil and a slow simmer for about an hour, the contents had condensed enough to allow chopped kale to be added. The soup will simmer for 3 hours, then the pork comes out to cool and be trimmed further and shredded. The colander of beans comes out, drained, then set on a plate temporarily. The remaining stock goes through a fat separator and then back into the pot along with the beans and shredded pork. A 24oz jar of medium salsa is then added and then the soup is brought to a boil one last time.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups