Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

Traveller

30 November 2020 | St Marys, GA
Cap'n Andy | Windy, Chilly
In the photo is a nice motor yacht tied up to the dock and outboard of that is a pilothouse sailboat, very traditional looking, and next to that is Traveller, a Marples 40 trimaran, skippered by Jay, an elderly yachtsman who is nearly deaf. He is also forgetful and has introduced himself to me about 3 times this week. I had met him last fall when he was in the yard.
.
I found 9v battery adapter with coaxial DC connector on eBay from Duluth, GA, right up near Atlanta, qty 2 for less than 5 dollars, free shipping. I notified Radio Bill that the adapters were on the way and he could have one to power his little 30 dollar oscilloscope. I plan to use the scope I purchased to see what is actually coming out of the battery charger/desulfator. The 4 group 27 agm batteries in the starboard hull are now up to 9 volts resting charge. They were down to 3.8 volts when I arrived in the boatyard Election Day.
.
The Ole Mole Pork and Bean Soup came out very good. In the future I will halve the recipe. It made about 2 gallons of soup. Too Much.
.
Clemson and their great quarterback, Trevor Lawrence, were on TV and I was interested because my NY Jets, the loosingest team in the NFL will probably have the #1 draft pick and Lawrence is projected to go #1 in the 2021 draft. I wanted to see him play. By the time I got the game on it was 38-3, the game must be nearly over, but no, it was only in the middle of the second quarter. 5 touchdown passes and the first half isn’t over.
.
It is now the day after our post Thanksgiving feast. I felt uncomfortable after the group of feasters began growing larger and more closely packed. I think it is advisable to social distance, but people generally tend to get closer together when talking, especially some of us older and hard of hearing. I retreated to Kaimu several times but had to come back to put away things and scrub dishes. I still had a lot of soup left over and others had the same problem with ham and turkey, there was a lot of food.
.
A cold front was forecast and indeed it came through in the morning with copious rain and a gale warning, of course. The wind was howling and the wind chill temperatures were forecast to drop below freezing overnight, but the actual temperatures were forecast to be in the high 30’s. The wind turbine was spinning at an incredible rate so I put the meter on it to see what it was generating. 0. Nada. When the wind calms down I will have to take it down and see what’s wrong. I wasn’t using it to charge anything anyway.
.
The engine start battery was down to 12.2 volts, so I put a smart charger on it. The starboard house batteries that had been totally flat were now up to 10 volts using the 7 stage charger/desulfator. A few more days and I will put the house bank back on the solar charge controller. The real test will be using the inverter which draws a lot of current and see if the batteries have any capacity.
.
The NY Jets faced their arch rivals, Miami Dolphins, and lost 20-3. They have lost every game this year and now no Jet fan wants to see them win even one game, they are on track to win the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft. Of all the criticism of the coach, ownership, and quarterback, perhaps they are working to get that draft pick and are doing a good job of losing every week. Other teams have tried this tactic over the past few years and have succeeded in getting a franchise quarterback or other dominant player at the top of the draft.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups