Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

Ole Mole Bean Soup II

19 December 2020 | St Marys, GA
Cap'n Andy | hint of winter
After several days of no wind, which allowed me to take down and repair the wind turbine, we now had wind and the turbine was spinning at a good rate. I hooked up the little oscilloscope to the voltage leads and saw pulses as high as 9.8 volts. Not enough to charge a 12 volt battery. The stator in the turbine was practically new, but I was rectifying its output and not using the control card that normally would be in the unit. There are circuits that boost voltage and that must be what is in the control card. Because I have modified the turbine beyond the point where I could use standard parts, I will have to create my own voltage booster circuit.
.
Just a short time later I found the turbine blades on the ground, they had spun off the shaft of the turbine, the hub nut to reassemble the unit was missing.
.
Not to worry, the nut is available at reasonable cost. We have other things to occupy out time, it’s time for Pizza Night again. This time I will try a new pie, Cajun style. Anduille sausage with cajun seasonings. Emeril, watch out. Maybe it is I who has to watch out. I did the usual preparations for pizza, start the yeast and honey for a half hour, then mix 3 cups of flour into the honey yeast mix which had 2 cups of lukewarm water. A half hour later mix 2 more cups of flour into the mix. But the mixer which was purchased to replaced our earlier mixer that had died died. Yes. Maybe ten minutes of mixing and it died. So I had to knead the dough like I did last time. Gotta bring the mixer back to Walmart.
.
When I said I had to knead dough, a fellow down near the communal kitchen said we all need dough.
.
The dough was made with King Arthur general purpose flour. It is well behaved after rising. The Cajun pizza pie was a hit. I also made the usual mushroom and pepperoni pies. In spite of there being only 4 pies and having a half dozen more customers than usual, there was enough to go around. One fellow ordered a couple of pies from Domino’s and of course they couldn’t compare with the Pandemic Pizza Porch pies.
.
It was an interesting evening with a spokesperson for the Republicans and one for the Democrats and the rest of us pitching in here and there, arguing or reinforcing the issues. We were well lubricated after a while with merlot and beer. I imagine the founding fathers had discussions like this when they crafted the Constitution and other government schemes. There is a general fear that Donald Trump might try to usurp power somehow. That Atty Gen Barr resigned might be an indication that some new development so awful that even Barr couldn’t handle it is looming.
.
It was time to make more bean soup. This time jalapeno brats were sliced to become the meat in the soup, the usual beans were used, ole mole spicing, including cocoa and p-nut butter, cumin, chili powder, balsamic vinegar, and sea salt. The spices and p-nut butter are whisked in 2 cups of warm water, then poured over the beans which are in a colander in a large crab and lobster boiling pot. A large onion is cut into pieces and a bunch of kale is trimmed from its ribs, chopped, and added, then the brat slices are added. 10 more cups of water are added and the pot is brought to a boil and simmered for 3 hours. Unfortunately I over salted the soup. It’s a good recipe, though.
.
Capacitors to make a voltage doubler for the wind turbine were ordered as well as stainless nut for the turbine blade hub. The output of the turbine was indicated on the oscilloscope as pulses as high as 9.8 volts. A voltage doubler can be made out of half a full wave bridge and a couple of capacitors.
.
Errata in a previous post, two mistakes, one was saying the NY Jets lost a game due to a late field goal, it turns out they lost the game due to a crazy defense scheme, they left man on man coverage while they blitzed the quarterback and it resulted in a game winning touchdown. The defensive coordinator was subsequently fired. That is good, because he was a good defensive coach, and now the team can lose out, 0-16, and get the #1 pick in the draft. The other erratum was describing Pat Conroy as is, instead of was, he is deceased, I found out later.
.
Trevor Lawrence, the quarterback for the Clemson Tigers, is of interest because he will probably be the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft and my hapless, hopeless, NY Jets will probably have that pick and select him as their next quarterback. So I watched Clemson play a game against Notre Dame, the team that had given Clemson their only loss this season. Lawrence couldn’t play that game, testing positive for covid-19. I am watching this game right now and it’s 31-3 with 2 minutes left to play in the 3rd quarter. Clemson is ahead and Lawrence scored a touchdown by scampering through the Notre Dame defense and outrunning them to the end zone. He looks lanky and thin, but he is 6-6 and very quick, strong, accurate thrower, smart, calls his own audibles at the line of scrimmage, but had an interception in this game, his only interception I think this season, his pass was tipped at the line of scrimmage and fell into the hands of the opposing team. If the Jets get him, they will have an A+ quarterback.
.
Sam Darnold, the current Jets quarterback is a good player, but has been on a decline due to bad coaching, illness, and the evolved decision to tank the season for a high draft choice. There is competition to be the baddest of the bad, the Jacksonville Jaguars have 1 win this season, so the Jets have to be winless to get Lawrence. Crazy, but Darnold is like a loyal soldier, helping the team tank and other times showing what he is capable of. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Jets traded away the #1 draft pick and rebuilt the team with some new parts, keeping Darnold. Of course with the Jets, any scheme could backfire.
.
The image is a cell phone photo of the latest bean soup.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups