Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Goodbye James

28 December 2021 | St Marys, GA
Cap'n Chef Andy | Unusually Mild
Out of the blue I was offered an outboard motor and inflatable dinghy for a very low price. I was very familiar with the motor, having restored it a couple years ago with new rings, valves ground, and 10 hour break in session. It is basically a new motor. The dinghy is questionable, but probably usable.
.
It is Christmas Day and I set out all the cookies I had been given, in a colorful tray that was probably meant for chips and dip. The pork soup was made available in the communal kitchen. I had a bowl. Very good.
.
I was surprised and saddened by an announcement by Hanneke Boon that her partner, James Wharram, had died at the age of 93. James of course designed the catamaran plans that were used to build Kaimu, even though they weren’t followed exactly, well, at all.
.
It was Monday and pizza day. The weather has been beautiful, mid-70’s for the past few weeks with only a stray chilly day here and there. I will be kicking myself for not getting more done, making hay while the sun shines, when the weather cools and it becomes more difficult to work with epoxy outside. My hope to relaunch the end of December now becomes more like wintering till April and forgetting about relaxing, basking in the warmth of the Keys.
.
I planned to shop for a used smartphone and singled out the Galaxy S20 FE. This is a lower priced phone that has top of the line features with some shortcuts to keep the price low. The top of the line Galaxy S20 Ultra was around $1,400, but the FE comes in at around $700. On Black Friday it was discounted to around $270. I was expecting it to fall to the 200 dollar range after Christmas when people receive a new phone and decide to sell their old phone on eBay. I began watching for lower priced phones, but they seemed to be going up in price. Then I watched a YouTube video comparing the S20 FE with the newly released S21. The price difference between them was only about $100 and some reviewers preferred the S20 FE. A unit came on sale with a small ding in the corner of the screen. I used Auction Sniper to bid up to $151, but the phone went for $167. Another phone with a small scratch on the screen came up and the current bid was $91. I auctionsniped up to $176. It is currently at $132.50 and by the end of Pizza Night I will see if I won it. (It sold for $191).
.
Pizza customers were coming in, a lot of newcomers along with the old tried and true, they came, then left to get more chairs, and so on. There were boxes of wine and coolers of beer. Conversation was chaotic. I could join in, but then had to make and bake pies.
.
I cooked a pepperoni pie for the renter at his request. That pie disappeared astonishingly quick. I cooked an onion pie, that’s right, a pizza pie with nothing but onion and some cheese. Yes, there is tomato, crushed tomatoes 4 or 5 spoons worth, piled in a tomato blob, then I spin my spoon in the tomato blob, around and around, the tomato flies out, but I work the spirals of crushed tomatoes inward and they smooth out, the pie has a smooth but irregular coating of tomato. The onion gets toasted, burned in the 1000 degree heat, that’s the way I like them, toasted, crunchy, but because the process can’t get to all the onion at once, we have onion pieces that are charred, yet wet and liquid. It was an astounding evening. I know if I liked it, probably all liked it, plus we were all making plans for the New Year.
.
A couple of bottles of booze came out. Not like us in NY like to disparage hooch coming in from out of town, this time plum brandy from Slovakia, complete with Milos, the Slovakian. Boy, he likes to have a good time. Our Breezeway renter brought out a bottle of Four Roses Bourbon. He likes to have a good time too. I was sticking to my burgundy till it ran out, then I sampled the other more potent drinks. All my cares went away.
.
Clean up the next day was a slow unsteady process. I had taken another sunset photo from the back of the Breezeway while the party was going on. I am looking forward to the next one.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups