Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Pizza Shanty

21 June 2022 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Cap'n Chef Andy
The rain started in the wee hours of the morning and when thunder and lightning woke me up I groggily put the top drop board in the companionway hatch. I luxuriated in more sleep, stretching my sore muscles. I got up and made coffee without alcohol stove calamity. The last two slices of cold pizza and an online jigsaw puzzle occupied me.
.
Cuddily called while I was away attending to natural functions. I called her back and she was wrestling with an eye appointment that I agreed to drive her to, as her eyes would be dilated afterwards. We ended up setting an appointment later on Monday, pizza night, but I guess pizza night will have to move again to Tuesday. Also we are going to make pizza at a new venue, either Cuddily’s waterfront house or somewhere in the marina.
.
I found that the Red Shell Shanty, aka Pink Pussycat, is not only open Friday and Saturday evenings, but this year they are open on Thursday. I wasn’t happy with their menu and decided to make my own grilled ham and cheese with tomato sandwich on sourdough bread. I have mastered making this sandwich on Kaimu’s propane stove, it requires keeping the process low and slow. The alcohol stove on Sunsplash works well, but I have to learn to use it. It doesn’t put out as much heat as a propane stove yet I ended up with a grilled sandwich that wasn’t all melty inside.
.
At the Shanty I had an Orange Crush, took a photo of it, sent it to Cuddily and Eve. Cornelia Marie arrived with Nori, the wonder dog, and then the others arrived. The conversation centered on the unexpected election of Crisfield’s first African-American woman as mayor. There are still absentee ballots to be counted, so it’s not official yet. This is a blow to the Old Boy network, the old time politicians. I did not vote and did not know who I would have voted for if I did vote.
.
After we disbanded after an attack of bothersome flies, I went inside and had another Orange Crush and spoke with the chef, whose name is also Andy. I asked how hot his pizza oven ran and he said mostly around 400. I talked to him about dough and my oven that goes to 1000. He said he gets his dough from a professional dough bakery. I asked if I could bake pizzas in their outside seating area when they are closed, like Mondays or Tuesdays, they said yes. Could I store the oven in their storage area behind the kitchen. Yes, and it will be under surveillance 24/7, so it is a secure location. This is great news. The Shanty is convenient to everyone of the Bad Crowd, and we gather there frequently anyway. Win, win, win.
.
The next day was my attempt at fried liver with spinach. It’s a concern of my Dr.’s that I am slightly anemic, probably the result of blood thinners, and he advised me to eat foods rich in iron. Unfortunately I am not one of those who relish having liver for lunch. I ate it and then went to the Shanty for an antidote. The Bad Crowd texted they were headed to Salmon Night at the Legion. After my Orange Crush I bicycled to the Legion. The ladies arrived a while later. I had a merlot and ordered the shrimp basket. It came with fries, I should have specified their excellent onion rings. The others at the table mostly had the salmon special, grilled with mango salsa. They agreed it was very good. I returned to the Shanty and had another Orange Crush.
.
The big event this weekend in Crisfield is the Bluegrass Music Festival. It has all the earmarks of a superspreader event. I spent the day following the SailGP event in Chicago. The USA boat did not do well at all. Perhaps they had a control problem. The other event was the US Open golf tournament. It must be a very difficult golf course, many top name golfers missed the cut or were well down the leaderboard after the cut. I had a burger at the Shanty and a couple of Orange Crushes. There was a fireworks show at the city dock which was in good view from the marina.
.
The next day was beautiful, cool, almost chilly morning, then windy, not good for bike riding. I decided to work on the galley which was crammed with a lot of stuff. I threw out some things and seasoned the skillet again, boiling water in it, then drying it on high heat, adding olive oil that smoked, shut it down to cool.
.
I did have a galley fire due to adding alcohol to the stove and there must have been a flame in there somewhere, lingering, and the alcohol does not hesitate to combust. It was everywhere, fortunately I had the garden hose from the dock spigot available and hosed things down. If I didn’t have that it would have been multiple little fires, wherever alcohol landed, and it causes ignition wherever it lands.
.
My younger daughter called me about Father’s Day and we had a nice chat, but it was Saturday and she would be occupied with stuff on Sunday.
.
On Sunday I kept resting up, not doing anything strenuous. Recuperating from wrecking my body during the move. Now I was feeling stronger, still sore, still stiff, still pedaling with a pronounced asymmetrical style. I watched the Chicago SailGP event on YouTube, skipping along. The sailing races are short and you can skip ahead, it was well I did, the USA boat did not do well at all. I enjoyed seeing the tactics of boats at around 50-60 km/hr. The I watched the Canadian Grand Prix, the only formula one race I had ever been to, and it was a real nail biter. Ferrari was in second place behind a Red Bull car and the cat and mouse game went on for over 50 laps. I can’t believe I watched the whole thing, but it could have changed dramatically if one of the drivers had a momentary lapse, then the other would capitalize.
.
The next day I agreed to drive Cuddily back from her eye appointment, but I actually drove there too. She has trouble with her vision, but one eye is very good. We got to her eye doctor at 3:20 and left at a quarter to 6. Takes a long time, dilating the pupils, etc. I spent my time reading online and saw on notalwaysright.com a story of a blind girl who was working in a shop and a patron was accosting her, you’re not blind, you can’t fool me, your eyes look normal. The girl came down from the ladder she was on and took one of her prosthetic eyes out of its socket and rolled it around on the floor. The patron started shrieking and eventually was taken away by the police.
.
We went to Eve’s house with a promise of hanger steak and salad. Teri was there and we had a great time with Eve’s excellent cucumber salad and macaroni salad, and then burgers, must have been made from hanger steak. At the end I gathered up my pizza utensils and ingredients and deposited them at the Shanty in the marina for pizza night tomorrow night. Cuddily drove herself home, independent woman that she is.
.
The image is of the Red Shell Shanty where we will make pizzas later today.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups