Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

The Knight is Crushed

07 August 2022 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Cap'n Chef Andy | Hot Afternoons, Thunderstorms
After testing negative for covid I paid my credit card bill that included airfare to Hawaii and recent frivolous expenditures. Maybe this covid scare will keep us out of the expensive places for a bit. I had a very inexpensive lunch snack of ½ lb of frozen jumbo shrimp from Food Lion dipping them in Heinz cocktail sauce. I may have to make my own cocktail sauce. The shrimp is wild caught, frozen and deveined, and was on sail at $6.99/lb. That works out to $3.49½ per lunch snack.
.
We ended up at the Fisherman’s, a popular touristy restaurant. It is convenient for me to bike there, it is almost adjacent to the North end of the marina. If you drink a lot, it can be an expensive experience. Eve and I shared a seafood quesadilla and a half pound of shrimp. It was more than enough for the two of us. Cuddily and Teri each had a seafood quesadilla and couldn’t finish either one. Doggie bags for them. So much for staying out of the expensive places.
.
Cornelia Marie and her friend Wilbur obtained a half bushel of large blue crabs and we descended on Cuddily’s waterfront home. Her kitchen is a great place to gather and cook and hydrate. I contributed to the dinner, I brought a bottle of cocktail sauce and some pinot noir. I’m not crazy about crabs, messy, a lot of work picking them, and unless you get monsters, too little crab meat for the effort. We retreated to the porch on the waterfront and enjoyed the late afternoon glow. I returned to the marina and the Shanty was still open.
.
I stopped in for an Orange Crush, had two, and also got my dough making bowls back from Chef Andy. The next morning I was aboard SUNSPLASH without the bowls. Later I stopped in the retrieve them and told the chef, I’m glad I returned to the right boat last night.
.
We hadn’t heard from Eve and Cuddily went to her house to see if anything is the matter. She promised to let me know. I made a short trip to the wine store and stood by in the marina. It was too hot on board so I went to the Shanty which was open. I tried calling Eve, but there was no answer. Then I got a text, she was in the shower, please come up, need help. I biked up to her house and read a note on the door, light the left 3 burners on the grill. I did my part and lit them, closed the grill, went inside and filled a glass with pinot noir, returned to the grill outside to hydrate. Eve came out with her lab pup mom and a small blue ball. She let the puppies out after a large SUV pulled into the yard and the gates were closed. It was Cuddily who had gone out to buy wine with Eve’s current B&B guest.
.
The puppies have grown larger, there are only 3 now, all males. They seem to like me and want me to pick them up. They are a handful. When I return from Hawaii they will probably be adopted, gone.
.
This time of year flies can be a problem in Crisfield and for that reason we will stay inside or try various methods to subdue the pests. Eve has incense sticks that help dispel the bugs. We have to cover our drink glasses to keep them out. It was time to head inside. Chicken was on the grill and a kind of ratatouille was sauteing in the kitchen. There was succulent cucumber salad. It was a fine dinner, again. A young lady singer had joined us, she was to perform at one of the art galleries. She had driven 11 hours from her last gig and really enjoyed the meal. Great conversation.
.
I want to mention Ottmar Liebert, German guitarist, who is on one of my playlists. When I hear something I really like, I look up the artist and sometimes I’m surprised with a multiple Grammy winner I never knew before. Liebert has a lot of music on YouTube and is well worth listening.
.
The image is of the City Dock in Crisfield. The waterfront condos, waving flags, the tour boats camouflaged, it was a beautiful time to take a break from the bike.

Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups