Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

Crisfield Crab Festival

06 September 2022 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Cap'n Chef Andy | mild
The jet lag takes a while for me to overcome. It starts out waking at 2PM yet feeling lousy, like you want to get a lot more sleep. But the early day lethargy turns into nighttime energy. I’m not falling asleep when I should and I close out the bistro two days in a row. I spend a couple days just hanging on and taking care of basics. It’s supposed to be a big weekend, and so it may, but I’m not doing too much of anything. The big thing for me was the NY Jets winning preseason game #3.
.
The zen is being disrupted. Too many changes too fast, and I think I deal with such things better than most. It’s strange how the pains come from some activity a few days earlier, so I guess I should expect more in the coming days. I reneged at going to the Legion and instead made an edible dish of pasta and canned clams. It was not bad, but I put half into the fridge, as emergency rations.
.
I have the phone plugged into the laptop to bring the photos over, also It gives a small battery charge to the phone. T-mobile has a better approach to tethering your laptop to your phone, very difficult to do with Verizon. It’s nice to know I can get internet on the laptop, all I need is a T-mobile cellular signal.
.
I entered the wordle! tournament. This is a game similar to the wordle game put out by the NY Times, except this version allows wordle!’s to be played anytime, one right after the other. The tournament gives points for each successful guessed wordle! If you were to guess it right off the bat on your first guess you would get 6 points. Each successive try reduces the points you get depending on how many guesses you have left. I think you get one point if you need 6 guesses, the maximum, to solve it. I am leading the tournament with about 40 minutes left and I am ahead by 38 points. I wouldn’t mention it otherwise.
.
It seems when I left for Hawaii Eve sold her final puppy. She then got the news her ex-husband had passed away. They were both involved with their son who lived close to his dad. She had to pack up and drive up to Pasadena and Kent Island to deal with things. She was gone when I returned from Hawaii and now has returned a few days after I did. Cuddily’s old boyfriend Buster came down from up North to recuperate from a cancer scare. I felt strange. We were at the Legion, the only place open in town on Monday and Tuesday. Cuddily and Buster were getting around in his little fishing skiff that he trailered down. It was a year ago that they more or less broke up, yet maintained contact, and now were mending fences.
.
I was wrong about a number of things. When I arrived at the Shanty right off the plane, I thought it was quite busy for a Thursday night, it was in fact Friday. I also thought that Labor Day weekend was going on a week before it actually happened. And now today I was looking ahead on the TV schedule for NFL football on Sunday, not so fast, it isn’t until 9/11 that the season begins.
.
The Labor Day weekend kicked off with Cornelia Marie’s birthday party. Of course I forgot it was her birthday. I had planned to go shopping with Helicopter Dave and Roughrider Lynn and they planned to use the taxi service to get around. I inquired at the marina office about golf cart rental and I could rent a golf cart at half price, so that’s what I did.
.
We drove up Cove Street to Somerset, then up Somerset to the grocers. I made my purchases of ingredients for shrimp and avocado salad, then waited for Lynn to finish shopping. She took so long that I thought about having one of the store ladies check the ladies’ room in case she had some trouble there. Both she and Dave were complaining that they weren’t getting enough exercise cooped up on their boat and thus were not in the best physical shape.
.
We decided not to stop by the Legion for a cold beer and took the golf cart to the drive through liquor store near the marina. We purchased 4 boxes of wine, one case of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer, and a magnum of tawny port. Lynn and Dave developed a taste for that port, where else, in Portugal. They plan on returning there by airline and have to find somewhere to store their boat.
.
Back at the marina I helped Lynn load a dock cart with her supplies and walked it out to their boat. I then drove to my dock and brought my supplies to SUNSPLASH, retaining a partial box of pinot noir and a new chilled box of pinot grigio. I then drove back to the office where I had rented the cart, returned it, grabbed my bicycle and pedaled to the Red Shell Shanty which was open early. I had an Orange Crush drink and texted Eve that I had run my errands and could make it to the birthday party along with a new box of chilled pinot grigio. She replied she already had a new box in the fridge, but I would bring my box as a birthday present for Cornelia Marie.
.
Eve said she had a chicken slow roasting on the grill and needed to come down to the Shanty for a Grapefruit Crush. When she arrived I had her drink ready as well as a 2nd crush for me. My first empty glass was taken away, hide the evidence. A small group of youngsters were watching the progress of the crush drinks and I said, it’s hard when you have two gas pedals and no brakes. Then Eve walked in with her black lab. She was still dealing with her recent trip up to Pasadena. We had another pair of crushes.
.
I pedaled to her house as guests began arriving. We were all set for barbecue chicken dinner as soon as the potatoes were done. The feast was inside in the dining room with platters of food passed around. When I left and biked through the marina the Shanty had closed for the night, it was after 10PM.
.
The next morning I had a hangover so bad I thought about doing a covid test. Actually that is a quote from Cuddily who did do a covid test when all she had was a hangover. I didn’t make my usual morning omelet, it was getting close to noon. I made the pint of coffee, Kona this time, I earned it. No omelet, just a sourdough sandwich with what was left of the deli chicken and four pats of cheese on top, plus black pepper and garlic powder, and then topped with mayo.
.
I wasn’t able to do much, really did feel that bad. The next day, though, I felt great and biked around the marina which was now full of tourists. It was the day of crab races. There was a section of the marina reserved for a dog show. I can’t make this stuff up. There were horses, ponies for the kids to ride on. I received a text from Eve that she had 3 crabs entered in the crab races. I paid the $5 admission fee and walked my bike into the crab racing arena. I watched one race and then wisely retreated to the Boater’s Lounge, air conditioned, college football game on.
.
Eve left and went to the Legion. I missed her text about going, but I had my bike and I felt good enough to pedal cross town. It was crab special at the Legion. $14 for a dozen crabs. Teri and Eve got their crabs and corn.
.
One of the elders of the Legion came to our table and said he had done some research. Eve’s ex-husband who had recently died was a Vietnam veteran and was the veteran’s advocate for 5 counties in Northern Maryland. It turned out the Legion elder had almost the same birthday, missed by only 3 days, and had served in the same battalion in Vietnam. His comments brought Eve to tears. It is a small world.
.
The next day I made the crab avocado salad. I did not use a blender, just made it like guacamole. I brought the salad to Eve’s house and she complained it had too much garlic in it. It was only 8 cloves. On the way I stopped at the Shanty and the chef tasted the salad and said it was great. We decided to add more shrimp and avocado to smooth out the flavor. I returned to the marina and got another pound of shrimp, Eve brought avocados from the grocer. The salad is easy to make and easy to adjust the flavor.
.
Eve made a conventional salad and her sister and brother in law came over with pulled pork. It was summer salad dinner but we ate inside due to pesky flies that persist when there isn’t a breeze blowing.
.
I awoke at about midnight that night and couldn’t get back to sleep. This happens from time to time, so the next day was very slow. The image is of sunset over the marina during Labor Day weekend.

Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups