Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Wordily

13 September 2022 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Cap'n Chef Andy | mild
I awoke promptly at about 10 AM and wished for more sleep. I ended up not frying an omelet for breakfast but having a ham and cheese sandwich on sourdough bread for lunch. The lunar tide was high and I had difficulty getting off the boat with my soreness from the recent overboard incident. After returning from the rest room I was able to climb on board, equally difficult. It was time to do laundry and make a step stool for the dock.
.
I ended up in another worldle! Tournament and quickly overtook the leader. Then I had to get to work. The step stool was a quick simple carpentry job with the Makita rotary saw and cordless drill. When I put it on the dock I realized it would do no good, the problem was that the boat was too far from the dock.
.
I put my bag of laundry on the dock and climbed down via a piling and my immense strength. I might not be able to do things like this in the future. They will convert the marina to floating docks I hear, but will I still be alive to enjoy that.
.
I put the laundry in the washer and went to the Boater’s Lounge for a bit. I watched an NFL game from last season, early this year. It was the Chargers and Raiders. It was not compelling, the Raiders had the Chargers down with twice the score and it looked like the end for the Chargers. Their quarterback looked like a little kid. They scored. They played on 4th down, normally a kick, but they played and got first down. I had to go and change laundry.
.
Into the dryer. Now I got back to the lounge and watched a come back that was unbelievable. The Chargers evened the score and forced overtime. I didn’t need to watch any more, I had to fold laundry. I was excited about football, but tomorrow would be my Jets, a team not rated well, against the Ravens, a team rated in the top 5.
.
I texted Eve, what did I have to bring to her barbecue, she would have burgers and salad, there would be corn on the grill, I went to the wine store for pinot noir, but it would be just for me, the ladies all drank white wine.
.
The bike ride up from the wine store went through town but not on the main street, off to the side through the projects, the houses of subsidized living, there was a yard sale, I biked past. I countered the wind and made my way better when it wasn’t gusting.
.
Eve’s phone was on the outdoor table where the grilling of the burgers would take place. I put my box of wine there and went inside the house. She was working through her preparation of grill items. Also she had a large salad made. I couldn’t help her, she had her own ways of doing things and I wasn’t allowed. I could bring things down to the table outside or just try to chat with her. She was preoccupied.
.
Teri came up the driveway and met us as we were going from the kitchen to the grill outdoors. Cuddily and Buster arrived. They had news about the new power boat and it was them who I spotted out in the boat when I took the sunset picture from the city dock.
.
When we broke up I pedaled down to the marina where the Shanty was having their final night of the season. I stopped in and enjoyed seemingly endless rounds of shots, experimental mixtures of liquors, doled out freely, everything had to go. Including any memories of it I might have had.
.
The next day was a slow day. I was invited to go to the winery just North of town but I was doing laundry and the Jets Ravens game was coming on. I was looking forward to the first game of the season of my Jets and probably wouldn’t see too many of their games unless I went up to New York or Connecticut again. This one was on because the Ravens were a local team as well as the Washington team, the Commanders now.
.
The result was a stinker of a game by the Jets. They had a good game that was filled with a bad play here and there that scuttled their chances. The backup quarterback started due to their young #1 being out with injury. The backup showed why he was a backup. It was gloomy outside with light rain. I biked to the laundry during dry spells to finish the laundry. I should have gone to the winery.
.
The next day I ran errands and sent a check to the boatyard in Georgia. The news was they had purchased a new crane and it would be possible to launch KAIMU when I got back. I planned to go there after election day and before Thanksgiving.
.
The skies to the West were dark with foreboding clouds and a check of the local radar showed scattered thunderstorms coming from the Southwest. Also a marine weather advisory warned of possible waterspouts and gale conditions. It took a while for the storms to finally descend on the marina and the result was a lot of rain, wind, lightning, but no waterspouts.
.
The next day was a listless day where I felt like a boat hermit. No contact with my buds from the town. It was a beautiful day with strong winds from the North. Not hot. I was out to the wine store, but kept to myself on board. Competed in another Wordle! Tournament, kind of a joke to me now, I could outpace them and score a lot of points at will. I didn’t have to worry. Today I wasn’t even up to my usual and left them in the dust. I was thinking about not doing it anymore, no challenge.
.
I glued up one of the teak hatches that are around in the cabin, this one to the side of the engine. I got the engine ready to remove the cylinder head. Finally after 3 months I was motivated by shame to do something.
.
Eve responded to several texts about going to the Legion. I felt I had to get off the boat. She picked me up at the Boater’s Lounge and we arrived at the Legion and went out on the deck. Teri came aboard as well as Cuddily and Buster. We had wine and later chicken wings. They had to improve on their spicing. But I couldn’t complain about the sunset. It progressed through several stages of magnificence. I got a lot of photos, one which is featured here. I may use others.
.
It seems to me I was depressed and needed to be with others and so they came and buoyed me up. I’m good to go for another few days. I need them, I hope they need me, we all need each other.

Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups