Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

Winners and Winners

19 September 2022 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Cap'n Chef Andy | Mild Fall Weahter
I have to say something about the Russian incursion into Ukraine and the resilience that has thrown them back somewhat. I have both Polish and Ukraine ancestry and the Ukraine portion was Ukraine Cossack. What that means is they were mercenaries who were hired to keep the raiders from the steppes at bay, and then they were given some land. If you go to YouTube and watch Cossack rodeos you will see that they were fierce horsemen, and in the old days wars were won by cavalry on horseback. "My kingdom for want of a horse." The Cossacks were hired by the Russians as personal army for the Tsar. It is not a good idea to go to their land and assault them. I wish them well in the face of the criminal Russian assault.
.
I am not a proponent of military fighting to resolve anything, but we must look into ourselves at what might happen in our own neighborhoods. People are buying guns and arming themselves. There are already killings based on religious and racial differences. The factions are vehemently opposed, our election system might be disregarded by some who won't accept the will of the majority. An ocean going boat that is self sufficient is not a bad idea and boats are very cheap right now.
.
The Somers Cove Marina seems almost empty now and the streets of Crisfield are equally quiet. There is an event in a couple of weeks that may cause some activity, the J. M. Tawes Crab and Clam Bake. Tickets are $75 to keep out the riff-raff, like me. If it's an all you can eat affair the ticket price is not unreasonable. I have a note scribbled on recent correspondence, crabs ½ bushel $85. I am happy with a salmon salad sandwich made with 1/3 of $.97 can of salmon. Eve, the artist, is attending the Crab and Clam Bake, she has political clout and will be sitting with those people. My own political clout arrived in a paper ballot request that I mailed out today. I like the idea that I can vote and not have to ride to the polls on a bicycle in the rain.
.
The big political contest in Maryland is the governor race. Same in Georgia. Polls indicate the race in Georgia is currently too close to call. It is hard to find data on the Maryland race, but interestingly, the Democratic candidate has raised a lot more money than the Republican and that includes donations from Republicans to the Democrat. In fact, the Republican Senate Caucus donated to the Democratic candidate. The Republican candidate also hasn't been endorsed by the incumbent Republican governor. I am sure more information will rise to the surface, it is now only the dog days of September.
.
I had dinner with Helicopter Dave and Roughrider Lynn, my old friends from the boatyard, at Fisherman's Grille. We had been shocked at the prices previously, so this time we scaled back. My burger with sweet corn and two orange crush drinks, with tip, came to $45.
.
The next day was the opening of an Arts Council exhibit by members. My forays to the vicinity of the Arts Council Gallery near the city dock included my morning bike ride when I was again hailed as Chris, a certainly different fellow who rides bikes, but I guess any white guy riding a bike is Chris, we all look alike. The second ride was as an unpaid bicycle courier to bring boat survey documents to Tawes Insurance, located near the dock. It is a short ride from the marina.
.
Later I sat on a bench seat in front of the art gallery that had a piece of art as its backrest. My bike was stashed right around the corner of the building. After a while Teri, the artist, made her way to the building and I said, Ahoy, and we went in, greeted by the president of the arts council, but the place was really empty.
.
We were offered wine and started the counterclockwise viewing of member's art. We eventually got to her piece of art, an exquisite finely detailed painting of a fishing shack at the end of a shaky pier. She said shortly after painting it it got blasted away in a storm, in fact, she said she had bad luck with many of her subjects.
.
Another lady of the arts council approached us and commented about people gathering where people were already gathered. She is a psychoanalyst. I said, like when people are pointing at the sky? Exactly. She was enamored of the painting and bought it.
.
There was wine, cheese, and other food available, but I didn't want to eat much. I could be a member of the arts council for $10, as a senior, and I could submit some of my photography, if I wanted to do that, but I don't. It wouldn't be fair. In other exhibitions, as last season, there were spectacular prints of photographs that I envied. Not this time. I showed some photos I recently took on my phone and I appreciate when an artist looks at something and says that's beautiful, even if they are just being polite. Some of my photos need some time to appreciate.
.
As the exhibition was ending I wanted to leave and get on my bicycle. I didn't want Teri to leave at the same time, that would create a scandal in this small town. She did. It was nice talking to her and we both said we were glad that the other had come. She should be glad, she came into the exhibit and sold a painting in about 30 minutes. I said, if you sold a painting every 30 minutes then you'd really have something, but you'd have to paint one every 30 minutes. Not so, she said.
.
I am a football junkie and although I couldn't watch my NY Jets game, the Ravens were playing the Dolphins and I wanted to see the Dolphins Hawaiian quarterback. Lamar Jackson, the Ravens quarterback, who was trying to get a big payday from the team, played spectacularly. The score was 28-7 at the half with Jackson throwing 3 touchdown passes and having a perfect quarterback rating. The Jets score was shown at the bottom of the screen, tied at the half. In the 4th quarter of the Ravens game, Tua Tagovailoa, the Dolphins quarter back brought his team back, down by 3 touchdowns, and threw for a total of 6 touchdowns. At the same time the Jets score posted at the bottom of the screen now and then became a loss by the score of 30-17, but when both games were over the Jets final was 31-30, winning by one point, how did they do that.
.
It turned out they scored a touchdown, did an onside kickoff and kept the ball, threw a second touchdown with 22 seconds left in the game. A pleasant shock for Jets fans. The Jets play the Bengals next week, a team they had beaten last year in an upset.
.
The image is of another sunset taken at the Legion.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups