Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Missing in Action

07 October 2022 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Cap'n Chef Andy | Remnants of Hurricane Ian
I had trouble recently but it was trouble from afar, but it seems it is coming as news to me from all over the place, I have to wonder if I am immune from the troubles. The Troubles refers to the wars in Ireland and the continuing conflict in their society between the royal crown and the people, between churches, the real trouble with people, a strange dichotomy, humans are driven to give and help each other, and yet seem driven to conflict with each other.
.
It is not easy to write this stuff, as you well may read.
.
Sometimes one can be grateful, there I spelled it right, to live a life full of love and adventure, but that means heartaches, and disasters, adventures seem to be always disasters, but interesting enough for a blog.
.
But I digress. I started out with the Troubles and wanted to say something about singer Delores O’Riordan. She could sing before she could talk. Raised strict Catholic, she sang in church, and one day her schoolteacher stood her on the desk at the front of the class and asked her to sing to the class. She was in demand and ended up as the lead singer of the Cranberries. She has many vocal gifts. She can yodel in the middle of the song or have dramatic pauses and here she does what Justin Hayward does, he says a syllable over twice, like Tuesday, ah, afternoon. Tragically Delores drowned in her bathtub one night, passed out from drink.
.
Glad I got that one out of the way. We have been having phenomenal gourmet meals from Eve the artist, and the culinary artist. Sometimes it is uncomfortable being around a creative genius when they are in action. You can’t help. They are displaying themselves while you watch them mince garlic, taste something, you can’t help.
.
The aftermath of Ian, here in Crisfield, is days of chilly raw rainy weather. I joked to others on my dock, how much snow are we getting? The wind has been out of the North with gusts to 40mph. SUNSPLASH bounces and rocks and rolls like she was in a gale offshore. I did not want to go out in the wind and check the lines, but I did out of fear.
.
Here’s Roughrider Lynn’s Amish Zucchini Relish recipe:
.
Zucchini Relish
.
10 cups zucchini, ground
4 onions, ground
5 tbsp salt
4 cups white sugar
2 ½ cups vinegar
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp celery seed
1 tbsp cornstarch
.
Remove seeds and peel zucchini. Add onions and salt. Let stand overnight. Drain and add warm water. Drain again, then add rest of ingredients. Boil together 20 minutes stirring often. Put in jars and seal. Makes around 6 pints.
.
At Eve’s we had a tray of breaded veal and breaded eggplant smothered in her homemade tomato sauce with 3 kinds of cheese. I was allowed to prep the mozzarella, cutting it into thin slices. Into the oven the tray went to be baked at moderate heat for a while. It was the best meal in town, I am sure.
.
For those who are not enthusiastic about NFL football, you can skip the next part. A while back I wanted to see the Hawaiian quarterback Tua T. (his last name is no more difficult to spell than mine, but I’ll pass this time.) play and he put on a show with a huge upset win over the Baltimore Ravens. On the same day the NY Jets came from behind in the last 90 seconds to score and beat the Browns by one point. That drove the Browns fans crazy. Now in this past weekend Tua was injured by a concussion, very serious looking, and his backup, Teddy Bridgewater tried to bring a victory over the Cincinnati Bengals, who had just beaten the Jets. The Bengals won over the Dolphins and now the Dolphins will face the Jets at home in NY. Meanwhile the Jets went to the Pittsburgh Steelers who were unbeaten at home against the Jets over the last dozen games or so. Enter, or reenter, Zach Wilson, Jets second year quarterback who was out with a knee injury, and he looked very rusty. It looked like the same old Jets squandering their chances, shooting in the foot, etc. In the 4th quarter Wilson came alive and had a near perfect QB rating and rallied the Jets to the win, 24-20.
.
The question now is can the Jets win at home against a good Dolphins team, but a team without its star quarterback. The Bengals and Jets are comparable teams with some of the same good and bad characteristics. Poor offensive line, talented young quarterback who can make up for that, defense that is OK, and the Bengals just beat the Dolphins. Can the Jets do the same? They are now 2-2 and the Dolphins are 3-1, could they both be 3-2 after next weekend? They are in the same division and would be tied in first or second place.
.
OK, enough of that. We are in a 6 day nonstop gale that has resulted from Hurricane Ian remnants hanging just off our coast, pumping North winds and rain onto us. Very chilly on board, too windy and rainy to bike around town. I am hibernating on my boat like a bear, or a hermit.
.
Finally the weather pattern broke and we had a gorgeous day, coinciding with Thursday night at the Legion, Quesadilla Night. I had been without wine during the week, it was too nasty to go to the wine store. Also my sustenance had depleted to just 4 dabs of cheese and 6 eggs. The bread and ham were all gone. There were some emergency crackers, maybe one can of tuna fish left, some peanut butter, I could probably have gone another day, if necessary, but now it was not necessary. I biked to the store and then biked to the wine store. I took a breather after each bike trip. I felt out of shape. I biked to the Legion and had my first wine in a while, and a chicken quesadilla. Cuddily and Teri did the same. I was able to snap a very nice sunset photo.
.
I was surprised that I haven’t posted on the blog in a long time. There was about a week of blotto weather where nothing was going to happen.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups