Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

Untitled

21 November 2022 | St. Marys, GA
Cap'n Chef Andy | Mild Fall Weather
I promise not to write too much about NFL football. Not this time though.
.
My NY Jets are off this week, but their rivals, the Buffalo Bills were on duty vs the Minnesota Vikings. At the same time the Jacksonville Jaguars were playing and I switched back and forth between the games, both on local TV. The Bills were 6-2 and the Vikings 7-1. If the Bills should lose they would be tied with the Jets in their division, but the Jets have beaten the Bills, so the tie goes to them. As it turned out, the Bills/Vikings game was one of the best this season so far. It was as close as it can get and went into overtime. The Vikings won with a field goal and an interception when the Bills tried to win it with a touchdown. The Jets now lead the Bills in their division, but the Miami Dolphins are leading them both today with their own win.
.
I was invited to the gas station restaurant just 2 miles from the boatyard and when I walked into their open air bar the barmaid said hi Andy do you want your Malbec? Yes, I did. Unfortunately it tasted like it was the same bottle I drank from 6 months ago. I was kind of shocked she remembered my name and my wine choice.
.
The next evening we went to the Southern River Walk and almost the same thing happened. The barmaid recognized me and her artist partner seemed to also. They didn’t have malbec available, but I ordered pinot noir and lo and behold, I had been searching for this pinot noir most of last Spring. I couldn’t remember where I had tasted it and spent a lot of time trying wines all over the place. This was it. Unfortunately I can’t remember its name even though I asked and the service staff showed me a bottle. Evasive wine.
.
After exhaustive research online I ascertained the wine I was looking for was Frontera. It may turn out to be not the right one, but there is no harm in trying some.
.
I had, today, a very busy day, holding court on the Pandemic Porch in the boatyard.
.

A familiar face was discussing something with the electrician. I knew I knew him but I had forgotten the name. He is in the blog, I searched back, 38 pages of CONTENTS, but before I could find his name he was standing right in front of me. I said I was looking for his name, he said Lou.
.
We met and got to work a few years ago when a hurricane was on its way. Lou rowed his beautiful Dyer Dhow dinghy and we brought anchors out to our respective boats, set the anchors, and Lou rowed back. Lou did all the rowing. He is 7 years older than me. Unfortunately he lost his boat a couple years later and he had been searching for a replacement ever since. He now said he had purchased a boat after searching all over the country. He bought a Shamrock 20 PH. This is a center console power boat with an inboard Ford V-8, and the center console is a small pilothouse. It has a range of 400 miles at 40 knots. It looks kind of like a Maine lobster boat. I spent some time helping Lou pump up his trailer tires and inspecting his little work boat. It looks like a work boat but goes like a speedboat.
.
Geoff, the chemist, came by on his bicycle and I was glad to see him. He is the chef for the Thanksgiving Feast held annually by the City of St Marys and its yacht club. He is making mashed potatoes, stuffing, roast turkey, and I begged him to let me help out and prep veggies. I am allowed, but Geoff requested a tank of propane for our cooking next week. I have an empty tank that we will bring to Tractor Supply. It was up on deck. I lowered the empty propane container, ready for refill.
.
The next day Geoff brought me to fill up the tank and I asked to shop at Publix to look at wine. I found Frontera malbec at less than 8 bucks a magnum. Can it be any good, the reviews said it was a great value.
.
I had written about the strange condition of the human race, how we an be so generous and helpful to our fellow humans, but how we can be killers and war against them too. I wondered if it was a result of poor regulation of our generous spiritual nature or something innate that condemns us. Maybe some religion practice would help us be better, but when I looked at religion I was appalled, there is a lot of religious war. A lot of that war is between Christianity and Islam. These religions are both born in the same area of the world and now are together probably the most predominant in the worlds population. If you look at other religious conflicts you have the Hindus, the Buddhists, and more. Maybe these efforts to raise our spiritual beings are up against our real nature, animals that fight.
.
The wine was compared with a laughable wine, Australian, with the kangaroo logo, a pinot noir, and I was unable to have that shining light moment, maybe these wines are not that special. I was invited for Mexican dinner and afterwards tried the wines again. Still no shining moment.
.
The next day I was unusually perky, my sore hip seemed better, I tore into the pilothouse, the recipient of everything, including some cooking items, a large skillet, spoons, forks, some embedded in the pilothouse sole. I began triage, some to the free pile, some to the trash, some to figure out where to put them. In situations like this it is imperative to carry on in a businesslike fashion and not stop to read things, or for anything else. I picked up a GPS76 device that was covered with filth and I took it to clean. It was sticky. It was a digression. I ended up with stuff out on deck and an invitation to get spaghetti and meatballs, which I had been craving.
.
On the way to the spaghetti joint we were stopped in traffic with lots of flashing lights up ahead. Oh no, the spaghetti was off, now we had to improvise. We ended up at a place called Shore to Sea, or Sea to Shore, something like that, and I had been there before. My mental image of nice spaghetti and meatballs was replaced with a distant memory of a bad dinner at this place. It was a while ago. The dinner was OK, but I realized it isn’t the dinner, it’s the companionship. We had a good dinner. I gave an odd tip to the wait staff, $19.97.
.
The next day we were going to the restaurant at the corner, the gas station restaurant, but it was packed. We sat in the old outside and decided to go somewhere else, and it ended up we were back at the spaghetti place. I had eaten there years ago, even before I knew about the boatyard, early days, when Kaimu was grounded at Fort Clinch. I remember the place as a sort of ordinary place to eat, but now it was different. I had a nice little salad and spaghetti and meat balls, one of my favorites. I was treated to dinner and didn’t mind adding a bottle of wine at $13 to the bill. I was not the only wino there.
.
The Jets did play the Patriots and had a tie game 3-3 going into the final 2 minutes. Then, with 5 seconds left in the game a Jets punt was returned nearly the length of the field for a touchdown. The Jets went from leading the division to last place in the division. All the teams in their division are at least 2 games over .500.
.
The image is of a recent sunset viewed from behind the Breezeway in the boatyard.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups