Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

Okeechobee OpenCPN

20 December 2022 | St. Marys, GA
Cap'n Chef Andy | Chilly, Rain
The news was that a Catalina 30 similar to SUNSPLASH had gone missing while voyaging South from New Jersey to Florida. They had been missing ten days when they were spotted hundreds of miles offshore and rescued by a merchant ship. The sailboat was without power, food, or water. The two sailors were very lucky to have been found and rescued.
.
The last contact with the sailboat was when it was leaving Oregon Inlet near Cape Hatteras. That is a clue that makes me think they were trying to go South under sail alone, that their engine was inoperative. Normally a boat like a Catalina 30 would take the Intercoastal Waterway from Norfolk to Morehead City and avoid Cape Hatteras, Frying Pan Shoal, Lookout Point, etc. My own ideas of taking SUNSPLASH South included the possibility of going engineless. Looks like that is not a good idea.
.
Big Dave retu4rned from Texas and we began to build a navigation laptop computer. We were using a Panasonic CF-C1, same as what I’ve been using the past few years. I am also replacing my latest laptop which is exhibiting some wear and tear. We are installing Navigatrix 32bit non PAE. This is the distribution that seems to fit these laptops most easily.
.
I had had problems with the 64bit version of Navigatrix in the past, but a more up to date version of it should offer faster operations with large files like navigation charts. The next day I downloaded the latest version of the 64bit program and dual installed it on the laptop. I had a thumbdrive with all the charts on it, all the NOAA charts of USA, CM93 vector chart of the world, NOAA ENC ROOT, vector charts of USA, DMA charts of Bahamas, Explorer charts of the Bahamas, Iolaire charts of Eastern Caribbean. I loaded all the charts on the 64bit system.
.
Big Dave was eager to see how it worked and offered to treat me to dinner and I could demonstrate the program. We went to the gas station restaurant and had their Southwest Burger. The program crashed several times, but because it was dual installed I could revert to the 32 bit version. That ran without a problem. Dave started to have the glassy eyed look, he’s proficient at law but technology puts him to sleep. We quit for the night after making a sailing route South to the Hawk Channel near Miami.
.
The next day I reinstalled the 32 bit Navigatrix, overwriting the 64 bit version. Big Dave received his new hard drive, drive caddy, and charger. I installed Navigatrix on his drive along with all the maps. The non-OpenCPN maps were put on his desktop along with the Chromium web browser icon. We went to Southern River Walk for dinner and I demoed the laptop. We looked at Lake Okeechobee and the canal that runs from Stuart, Florida, to Fort Myers. We found the chart directories for the non-OpenCPN charts were in an old document file type that wouldn’t open with the new Navigatrix word processor. Later I opened the chart directories on the old operating system and resaved them as .doc files.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups