Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Zen and Bike Maintenance

Eloisa rolled into the boatyard after a long drive down from the mountains. It was getting cold and isolated up there. I had a nasty toothache and we went to Southern River Walk. Bleu, her black American cocker was showing a bit of plumpness. I had had a sandwich and some wine already, so I didn’t [...]

The Return of Eloisa

09 February 2023 | St. Marys, GA
Cap'n Chef Andy | Like Summer, in February
Eloisa turned up in the boatyard without any advanced notice which I found annoying. We decided to have food and drink later. We went to the Southern River Walk which had their wonderful clam chowder as soup of the day, but Robert and Steve from the boatyard insisted on going to the gas station restaurant. It was chilly so we had a table with a charcoal grill in the middle, maybe something that once was in a Japanese barbecue grill. Geoff and Karen, the phd chemists, were there but left shortly after we arrived.
.
The special was perogies in garlic butter sauce. I used to have perogies at our favorite restaurant years ago in Pasadena, Maryland. The perogies we were served were bland, not bad, but not tasty. I thought about that clam chowder we had missed.
.
The next day we decided to go to the beach like we did last Spring, but when we got there fog was rolling in, thick fog. Eloisa was talking about oysters and we had passed a restaurant called Shuckers, they must have oysters. We returned there and I had a seared ahi tuna poke bowl with wasabi dressing, Eloisa had some oysters on the half shell and a bowl of seafood gumbo. We shared a bottle of rose wine.
.
We shopped for ingredients for cream of chicken mushroom florentine soup and the next day I made it, this time without adding tomatoes. We sampled the soup on the pandemic porch while Doc of Doc's Chop Shop and Komputer Ken gabbed with us. Doc is rebuilding a gyrocopter. They declined the soup. Geoff the chemist bicycled through the boatyard and we had a chat. He also declined the soup and said he had to leave to cook dinner.
.
Eloisa left to take a nap but she played with Blue, her black cocker, at the park with a pond that has a sign "No Dogs". She returned after I had washed the soup pots, etc. Let's go to Southern River Walk for Happy Hour. We snuck in back with Blue and had a couple pinot noirs. Geoff and Karen, the phd chemists, came and sat with us. I asked Geoff if he had already cooked dinner and he said no, wanna come over for dinner? Yes, of course.
.
Geoff is a great cook and he got out some seafood and pasta, made a fantastic sauce and poured liberous libations of wine. It was so much fun.
.
The next day we had dinner of soup.
.
The next day we went to the beach. We made sure to stop at the ice cream shop. Then we ended up at the Sandbar, an accommodating beachside bistro. I ordered a bottle of rose and a poke bowl. These Hawaiian items are appearing on more and more local menus.
.
I renamed the beach "Zen Beach". It was very warm for middle of winter, mid 70's. The beach was not crowded but full of people, dogs, one surfer dude that turned out to be a surfer girl, a flyover of a motored parasail. Blue would scamper over the sand to get a ball knocked by Eloisa and her Wilson tennis racket. We knocked off at 3 and took the long slow way back to St. Marys.
.
We opted to stop in Southern River Walk again. A musician was setting up his equipment. When will he play? Eloisa said when we leave. And it did happen that way. During Happy Hour the house wine is $3 a glass.
.
The image is of Fernandina Beach from promotional photos on the internet.
\
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups