Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Zen and Bike Maintenance

Eloisa rolled into the boatyard after a long drive down from the mountains. It was getting cold and isolated up there. I had a nasty toothache and we went to Southern River Walk. Bleu, her black American cocker was showing a bit of plumpness. I had had a sandwich and some wine already, so I didn’t [...]

Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler

26 February 2023 | St. Marys, GA
Cap'n Chef Andy | Hot, like summer elsewhere
I gave away a quart of the Cajun bean soup to Steve the Welder. I suggested he water it down a bit, like it was condensed soup. I later did the same and had a nice 3 mugs. I envision making the soup with rice instead of beans.
.
I used some of the kielbasa in my omelet sandwich with sunnyside up egg. A nice change of pace and ethnically appropriate.
.
Eloisa texted me from the laundry, totally unexpected. It was a beautiful day and I suggested we make pasta with meat sauce on the Pandemic Porch. I had repaired an electrical outlet and could operate a hot plate on a little table on the porch.
.
First I boiled a pot of water for the pasta and set it aside. Next a large skillet received onion, garlic, and green pepper, then in went two pounds of ground chuck. When the whole mess was properly wilted and browned a large can of petit diced tomatoes went in. I set the skillet aside and brought the water to boil again and threw in the garden rotini pasta. When it was just al dente the pasta went into the skillet which was brought back up to temperature. As it was bubbling, shaved parmesan was spread over the top. A photo of the melty pasta concoction was sent around. Robert showed up. Eloisa and her black dog named Blue played with a ball. One of the children of the boatyard began playing with the dog.
.
The pasta was quite good and enough left over for 3 lunches.
.
My next preparation would be chicken mole soup. But that would have to wait.
.
The next day Eloisa said she wanted to make birds, i.e., woven birds out of palm fronds. I suggested we go to Southern River Walk for happy hour from 4 to 6. It was only about 2:30. I decided we should go hang out there where she could make birds and I could enjoy their pinot noir. It turned out it was happy hour from 2 to 6. I texted Geoff and Karen to join us, my treat. They had given us a great dinner about a week ago.
.
Eloisa and her woven birds as well as the black dog named Blue received a lot of attention. The place was surprisingly busy for a Monday afternoon. She hung her first bird up and it turned slowly in the breeze, it looked almost alive. Patrons came and took photos of it. She hung another bird, birds of a feather, both twisting in the breeze. A lady purchased one of the birds. Another went up. A man purchased one of the birds. Geoff and Karen arrived promptly at 5 in their red bug eyed Austin Healey Sprite.
.
I had just finished a chicken parmesan sub sandwich. It was one of my favorite sandwiches when I lived in Connecticut, but after trying two of them down here in Georgia, I gave up, they couldn't make them as tasty. It was the special of the day at Southern River Walk and it was maybe the best chicken parm sub (we called them wedges up in Connecticut) ever. Eloisa had caesar salad with some roasted chicken for Blue.
.
Geoff and Karen invited us for dinner, but of course we were full. We went to their house to consume more wine. Eloisa had 3 birds in the hand and offered one but they declined. We had some excellent red wine and talked about moving a couple of sections of floating dock that had drifted up the river to Geoff's dock. The floating docks came from Lang's Marine in St. Marys, set adrift by the last hurricane. Karen was concerned that Geoff's plan to tow the docks with one of his boats was dangerous. We agreed to help him the next day and cancel our trip to the beach.
.
The next day he canceled moving the docks due to it being very windy and hard to control the boat. We invited them to join us at the Sandbar on Fernandina Beach. We enjoyed a fine afternoon there but my salad with blackened shrimp was overpriced and not of very good quality. We had pinot noir as the rose wine was not available.
.
The next day was happy hour at Southern River Walk. We enjoyed good food at reasonable prices. My problem was all the leftovers I had in the fridge that would go bad if we didn't eat them and we were eating out almost every day.
.
We did consume the remaining chicken mole soup and now had one serving of the cajun bean soup and some of the pasta remaining.
.
In the morning I saw a boat pulling floating docks very slowly down the river past the boatyard. It was not Geoff's boat. We went to the park that has the sign "No Dogs" with Blue the black cocker spaniel. He likes to run and chase balls that we knock quite a distance with a Wilson composite tennis racket. When he returns with the ball he doesn't give it to us right away. He keeps it and takes a little bit of a rest, then drops the ball near one of us so we can continue.
.
We went to the Pirate's Point bar for happy hour and found Geoff and Karen there along with his neighbor Paul and his wife. The neighbor was grateful that Geoff had caused the floating docks to be removed by DNR, so he treated them to dinner and drinks.
.
When Saturday came around Eloisa had asked me if I wanted to join her in Kingsland to see the Mardi Gras parade. It would be too early for me I said. However, I found myself awake at just past 7 in the morning and texted her about coming along. We brought folding chairs and watched as the crowd gathered along the parade route. Many wore mardi gras accessories, such as beads, pirate garb, very Key Westian.
.
After the parade finished we went into the cordoned off street where a street fair was materializing. I had a tuna poke sandwich which was very good and well priced for the amount of tuna on it. My hip was bothering me and I sat at one of the rides of the fair, a climbing wall. The participants don a harness that clips to a safety line that goes up to the top of the wall and is regulated by a pneumatic shock absorber sort of device. If an unfortunate kid slips, they do not fall to their death, they slowly ease on down to the ground. It looked like a lot of fun and there was a constant line to try it. If you made it to the top there is a bell there to ring to let everyone know.
.
Eloisa went to get some Cuban food and brought the car around to the fair. There was a car show going on and Geoff and Karen had their Sprite entered. We met with them and Geoff said if the ballots for the best in show were only for those that had entered a car, then he wouldn't win, but if anyone could vote then he would win. It seems the car show entrants are mostly Detroit products and they tend to vote for Detroit products. A Pontiac won the show.
.
We shopped a bit and then went to the park. It was only about 2:30. I usually waste the early part of the day, but today I was up and at it from daybreak. We played Wilson racket ball with Blue. A fellow on a Honda Goldwing came by and fished in the pond in the corner of the park. He gave up and stopped by and played with the dog. He lives in the neighborhood of boatyard.
.
We returned to Southern River Walk where Jambalaya was the special of the day and Roasted Shrimp and Corn Chowder was the soup of the day. I had both as well as the ridiculously cheap happy hour wine, $3 a glass. A duo of guitar and drums set up and played music.
.
The image is of one of the palm frond birds hanging in Southern River Walk.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups