Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Ole Mole Pork and Bean Soup

25 November 2020 | St Marys, GA
Cap'n Andy | Very Nice
The Catalina 30 on Boat Angel went for $1200.
.
The battery desulfator seems to have a beneficial effect on the dead batteries, but we are only up about 1.2 volts after 15 hours of tedious battery tending. The procedure is to run the charger for exactly 27 minutes, then disconnect from power and the battery, in that order, wait 30 seconds, then reconnect, which restarts the process for another 27 minutes, and so on.
.
27 minutes is a long enough time to get other things done. No more procrastination. The mainsheet arrangement was put together with cheap 3/8" line from Harbor Freight. The plan was to replace the cheap line with something more nautical. When I noticed pollen or milkweed seeds floating in the air I realized one of the mainsheet lines was going to deteriorate to dust pretty soon.
.
The mainsheet is a copy of a system used by a fellow with a smaller Wharram catamaran. He sheets his boom to the gunwales, two sheets, perfect control of the boom no matter where it is set. My system includes running backstays and their winches which are in a good position for the mainsheets, but one winch and two lines, mainsheet and running backstay. I needed to have rope clutches or jam cleats to secure one line while I winched the other.
.
Two pairs of jam cleats were available, one pair was old fashioned but still usable, the other came from the old mainsheet. I went through my dwindling supply of stainless fasteners while the timer clicked along to reset the battery desulfator. This happened several times, drop everything, go to the galley where the batteries were getting their intensive care, watch the timer go to 0 and reset the desulfator.
.
The line angles at the winch were lined up with the jam cleats, screw holes were marked, I had the screws already after searching through my stash. I had a box of paint and epoxy tools, plus I found more in the scooter repair shop formerly known as the Breezeway. A small batch of epoxy was mixed and dripped into the screw holes. The holes were first drilled to depth and diameter for the screws to secure, then a larger bit was used to make the surface bore much larger but not going deep enough to wipe out substrate for the screws to bite into. The remainder of the epoxy mix was mixed with Glue Hard, my mix of fibers and additives to thicken the epoxy, then that was forced into the holes. The first epoxy dripped into the holes soaked into the wood, the thickened mixture formed a good anchor for the screws which were quickly fastened. Unfortunately I got epoxy on my vivid blue tee shirt and I am allergic to it, the epoxy, not the shirt, so I was scrubbing and wondering if this tee shirt was on its way to becoming another of my boat repair clothes.
.
The old line that was turning to powder was marked and removed from the mainsheet blocks. I had two lines, one for port and one for starboard, but the new line would be in one piece. I totaled up the length needed and ordered new line from Defender in Connecticut. I tied off the boom and one of the running backstays, I ordered line too for the running backstays.
.
Another activity during the 27 minute battery process was writing the blog.
.
A big Robert Perry designed sailboat had left the boatyard bound for Panama City, FL, but has returned with generator problems. After repairing the generator, the owner will set out again, without his delivery captain. It is a roughly 500 mile passage. The owner has no experience and will need assistance. The boat can be found at sailboatdata.com, search for Polaris 43.
.
A trimaran named Traveler came into the yard and I remembered seeing it about a year ago. I thought it was a Dick Newick design, but later found out it is a Marples 40 and it was built by Jaynes Marine in Virginia of the Chesapeake. The owner said he would like to find out more about it. Just by googling marples 40 trimaran I found out all about it on Jaynes Marine website, its for sale listing is still there.
.
The upcoming St Marys Cruisers Feast on Thanksgiving Day is probably going to be another covirus superspreader event. I will not attend and many others here in the boatyard are reluctant to go. Lynne of s/v Anyone suggested we have our own Thanksgiving Feast in the boatyard on Sunday. Immediately I saw my go-to recipe, loaded potato salad as an item on the pot luck dinner menu. Now I have second thoughts.
.
Kelly's Heroes was playing again on the local Movies Channel. I had just seen it a few days or weeks ago and I kept watching it, a fitting backdrop for the recipe changes that were evolving in my mind. Adolescent explosives, war tanks, Donald Sutherland, hippie warrior, German casualties, and I was looking at two of my favorite recipes, Pork and Bean Soup, and Ole Mole Chili. A stroke of genius in the kitchen or galley, or in the communal kitchen of the Gulag Boatyard.
.
Ole Mole Chili has peanut butter and cocoa in its formulation. I haven't made it in quite a while. The pork and bean soup recipe has 3 ingredients, pork, beans, and crushed tomatoes. The soup needed more ingredients. I saw a video of pork and mole sauce on YouTube. Then it hit me. Make the pork and bean soup with the crushed tomatoes, plus the mole ingredients. One of the mole ingredients is fruit marmalade. Eve, the artist, gave me a jar of fig preserves which I gave to Radio Bill to try out. He never opened the jar. Plenty of fruit for the cauldron of soup.
.
While watching the movie I compared it to a movie my daughter had asked if I had seen, Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors. I watched most of that one, mainly to see the culture of the Southern Carpathian Mountains, the movie won many awards when it was released in 1965, but the director/writer was imprisoned by the Soviets. It was interesting, but Kelly's Heroes has me watching it again.
.
The image is from saatchiart.com when I searched "ole mole". It is appropriate, a sculpture, German.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups