Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

Florentine Storm

11 April 2021 | St Marys
Cap'n Chef Andy | Stormy
I wanted to do something constructive, so I made breakfast. It was going to be a hot day in early April, not unusual these days. I went shopping for ingredients for further breakfasts and for a soup, cream of chicken, florentine style. When I got back and stowed the perishables I spent some time relaxing and then decided to do something. I’ll pump out the rain water that has percolated in the hulls for some time.
.
I planned on using my battery booster pack to power the portable bilge pump, but nothing happened. I thought maybe the pump had sat too long and was bound up. It was not. The power pack might be dead, I plugged its charger in and nothing happened. I got my meter, the charger was putting out nothing. The power pack was nearly down to 0. I gave up.
.
After lunch I got the brilliant idea to attach one of my battery chargers to the output cables of the power pack and charge it that way. Meanwhile I attached clamps to the leads of the portable bilge pump and took it into the starboard hull bilge. I ran its hose outside and turned the pump on. It ran and pumped a lot of water. What remained was sponged into a bucket.
.
I ordered a 12v brick battery to power the pump and the electric bos’un’s chair.
.
The Masters golf tournament was on TV and I watched a bit. A tornado warning came across the screen, St. Marys was one of the towns under warning. I went to wunderground.com and saw that there was a small craft warning, severe thunderstorm warning, rip current warning, as well. The afternoon breeze was increasing and the golf tournament was suspended due to lightning. Up on deck I saw a roll cloud coming and took a photo of it. The wind kept increasing and it started to rain. I closed hatches, tarpaulined the work table under the boat and the electric tools there. Thunder crashed and we had a genuine lightning storm with horizontal downpour on top of everthing. More rainwater for the bilge.
.
The storm continued all night and it was overcast and drizzling in the morning. My plan was to make the Florentine soup today, but the electric hot plate I use was in Rough Rider Lynn’s hands, and the hot plate they normally use was in the communal kitchen for my attempt at repair. No go. The internal screws that hold the heating element were too corroded to get at what I thought would be an open circuit. Later the working hot plate appeared and I began to make the soup.
.
First a bag of spinach was added to the colander inside the stock pot. A bunch of kale was trimmed from its ribs and added. An onion was diced and added. 6 cups of water with 3 scoops of chicken bouillon were added as well as a tablespoon of montreal chicken spice. The stock pot was full to the brim, but after a while the greens cooked down and boneless skinless chicken thighs were added and steamed on top the veggies for about 45 minutes.
.
The chicken thighs were tonged out of the pot onto a cutting board and the colander was removed from the pot and set draining on a plate. The broth was cycled through a fat separator after first transferring to a large bowl. The pot was rinsed out and the separated fat was added along with some butter. Flour was added and the roux was cooked for a few minutes. The broth was slowly added while the roux was allowed to boil and thicken. The veggies were added and the soup continued to thicken. The chicken thighs were sliced and diced small and added. I tasted the soup and added a little liquid smoke to it. Finally a quart of half and half were added and the soup was finished.
.
The photo is of the roll cloud when the front came through. The yacht in the photo is a beautiful Hinckley 59 ketch.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups