Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

Pizza Bluster

18 October 2021 | Somers Cove, Crisfield, MD
Cap'n Chef Andy | Strong Cold North Winds
I had some nice photos taken of sunset at the American Legion and I tried to take them in series so that I could stitch them together in a couple of panoramas later. I remembered being able to do this with GIMP, the linux photoshop-like program. I searched through the menus and couldn’t find any hint of panorama capability. Online I found that the feature that I was looking for was called Pandora and is a plug in for the GIMP program. I used package manager to download and install Pandora. I was quickly able to make panoramas, but of the two series of photos I had available, one made a nearly perfect panorama, the other series of shots didn’t line up well at all.
.
The individual shots are joined together as separate layers of the panorama image. It is possible to right click on an individual shot and select transform, then select what you want to do with that part of the panorama. You can also use the tools tab at the top of the GIMP screen and the drop down menu will have the transform function, which creates another dropdown menu with all the possible transform actions. I used the move function to line up the layers. I used the rotate function to make the horizons exactly the same. The result is almost perfect.
.
There is another anomaly, called vignette. Each camera shot has a lens effect where the center of the shot is brighter than the periphery. When you join shots together it forms bands of light and dark, and in this case we are joining 3 shots together, so you get three bright areas spaced across the panorama and four dark areas corresponding to the edges of the 3 shots. I have to work on how to adjust that.
.
It was pizza night again and I had to bike up against the wind to get to Eve’s house where the pizza oven and pizza paraphernalia were. She had guests coming. She prepped some toppings while I continued on my portable laptop that I had brought along. I was still looking at solutions for the vignette problem. I also had started a 1 ½ recipe for pizza dough. We were expecting a lot of people for Pizza Night. Eve’s sister and brother in law were coming as well as Diana, Cuddily, and Karen. There was also a guest and a total of 4 dogs.
.
It was chilly and windy, probably 25 knots of wind. I had enough dough for six pies and after the oven came up to temperature I made a pie with prosciutto, sweet red peppers, onion, and mushrooms. I had prepped the mozzarella in slices instead of my usual diced cubes. The rest of the pies were constructed by the dinner guests while I happily baked them. Eve made grapefruit crushes but I went back to glasses of cabernet. The dogs were boldly begging all around the table. We had excellent guacamole made by Karen. In the end we had two whole pies left over which were divided up to be taken home for tomorrow.
.
The high winds just kept on blowing. Sunsplash was bouncing around as if at sea and there were whitecaps in the marina. The temperature plummeted down into the 50’s overnight. The image is one of the sunset photos from the Legion.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups