sailing

30 May 2013 | Porto
30 May 2013 | Portugal
22 May 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
20 May 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
15 May 2013 | Povoa
24 March 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
24 March 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
07 March 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
07 March 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
07 March 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
07 March 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
20 September 2012 | Povoa de Varzim
20 September 2012 | Povoa de Varzim
14 September 2012 | Povoa de Varzim
14 September 2012 | Cambrai
14 September 2012 | Cambrai
13 September 2012 | Cambrai
08 July 2012 | Povoa
06 July 2012 | Povoa
02 July 2012 | Povoa de Varzim

Up the Guadiana

28 August 2008 | Vila Real
One night was enough in Vilamoura and we set off again the next day, motoring as usual as there was negligible wind and Kaivalya needs at least a 3 to get moving in. We decided to go up the River Guadiana to Vila Real. We timed our arrival carefully as the chart warns of sandbanks at the entrance and in the river. We radioed the marina as we got close and they directed us to a berth we could only have for a few days as they were very busy.

The marinaros were very helpful assisting berthing. Steve returned somewhat unimpressed by the showers as they were relatively new but very small and hot as there was little ventilation so you came out hotter than you went in! The following day we met Stu who stopped to admire Kaivalya and then invite us for drinks on his boat which he had built himself. Apparently he had come to the Algarve about 7 years ago intending to go further but after some time in the Med and Gibraltar he had come back here and settled, buying a flat also. His wife Carol and their friends we met were a mine of helpful tips and they suggested we over-wintered there.

The town is built on a grid plan and you can take a pleasant walk along the promenade dotted with sculptures and fountains which are lit up at night. We also found a free Wifi centre down one of the side streets. I think it might well be the Towel capital of Portugal as every other shop seems to sell them along with bed linen and table cloths.
Comments
Vessel Name: kaivalya
Vessel Make/Model: Colvic Countess
Crew: Steve and Sue

Who: Steve and Sue