Sailabout

18 June 2020
14 June 2020
11 June 2020
03 June 2020
30 May 2020 | Reeds Bay, Hilo, Hawaii
07 May 2020
02 May 2020
02 May 2020
27 April 2020 | Under way to Hawaii
24 April 2020 | Under way to Hawaii
24 March 2020 | Makemo, Tuamotus
23 January 2020 | Tahanea, Tuamotus
30 October 2019
17 October 2019 | Amanu, Tuamotus
02 October 2019 | Amanu, Tuamotus
22 September 2019 | Hao, Tuamotus
29 August 2019 | Makemo, Tuamotus
25 August 2019 | Katiu, Tuamotus
10 August 2019 | Fakarava, Tuamotus

Beloved Tahanea

24 October 2018 | Tahanea, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
Marie Delight
We just love this atoll. It has everything we imagined in our wildest dreams. Clear water, rich sea life, isolation. We swim every day in pristine clear water watching trigger fish, sharks, coral heads and peeping our head above water the rare Tahanea sand Piper. Every morning we go free diving at a reef or with the manta rays in the pass. It is just like a dream. And no bugs! (Deputy dawg). As well as few other sailboats. This time of year people tend to disappear, put their boat somewhere safe for the hurricane season and go home. The weather is calm and the water very still and we have had some fantastic encounters with numerous manta rays feeding on krill in the pass. We stay connected to the dingy by ropes and float down stream as the Mantas swim gracefully by us three by three in a never ending parade with their mouths wide open to feed on the krill and their gills wide open to let the water pass through. We do not even have to dive down just stay on the surface breathing through our snorkels. We have also seen some interesting fish behavior. A Gray shark (6-7ft long) attacking a Napoleon wrasse (husky 4ft) and the wrasse turning around and chasing the shark away. Then a white- tip reef-shark attacking a parrot fish. I'm hoping to post some movies on You-tube when we have wifi. Tonight we are going lobster hunting with Robert a Danish cruiser and a local guy, Alfons. Robert came by and offered us some fish had spearfished this morning and told us about the lobster hunt. The best time to hunt for lobster is at low tide, during a full moon and calm seas, because you are going to the pacific side of the motu where the waves break. You wade knee deep in water over coral flats with a flashlight, rubber gloves and a bucket. Off course if you are Alfons you catch the lobsters with your bare hands and put them in your plywood back pack the size of a small refrigerator. And if you are me you have a camera, a water bottle, a flash light, a head lamp, gloves but no bucket. Guy and I did not even see a lobster. We saw eels, fish, sea cucumbers, shells and urchins. Robert caught 3 and was ecstatic �- he had gone the day before and like us not seen one. Alfons had 10 in his box. Alfons gave us four and now came the problem of how to kill the and cook them. Without a big pot or a bbq grill it becomes cumbersome with four great lobsters. First we bent a knife trying to get through their hard shell and had to get out the hatchet that we use to open coconuts. Finally Guy killed them and cut off their tails and I fried them in butter. Delicious.
Comments
Vessel Name: Notre Reve
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 40
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Guy and Marie Delight
Social:
Notre Reve's Photos - Main
6 Photos
Created 28 May 2019
Over all we were lucky with good constant wind although it did not always take us in the right direction. Only minor breakdowns, a furling line, the head, rudder shaft leak, propane locker leak and holding tank pump out leak. Nothing we could not fix temporarily under way and fix more permanently here in Nuku Hiva. The most difficult part of the journey for me was the constant violent motion that throws you off balance, and make cooking a dangerous extreme sport. We had swells coming from three directions most of the time and when they added together to one mega wave it really threw us off.
No Photos
Created 21 April 2018
24 Photos
Created 26 March 2016
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
16 Photos
Created 21 November 2015
See Blog
8 Photos
Created 29 September 2015
Four solitary days on Santa Barbara Island, surrounded by nature - seals, seagulls, cormorants and water spouts.
18 Photos
Created 12 June 2015
Island Packet a work in progress
8 Photos
Created 13 May 2015
Guy bought a Nordic Folkboat in 1980 and we sailed it around in the Stockholm archipelago for a few summers.
7 Photos
Created 12 May 2015