kruisin kanga

26 January 2016
13 January 2016
11 January 2016
26 November 2015
08 November 2015
30 October 2015
26 October 2015
22 October 2015
08 January 2015 | marathon, florida
15 December 2014 | melbourne, fl
13 December 2014 | new smyrna beach, fl
12 December 2014 | st augustine
11 December 2014
10 December 2014 | doboy sound, Georgia
08 December 2014 | beaufort, s.c.
07 December 2014
06 December 2014
05 December 2014 | n myrtle beach, SC
30 November 2014 | churchville md

it's been a long, long time

08 January 2015 | marathon, florida
A lot has happened since we last wrote a blog. On 12/16/14 we left fort pierce and traveled 208 nm to marathon key. It was a long, dark night but worth it when we got one of the last moorings available in boot key harbor. The next several days were spent acclimating ourselves to the area and preparing for eric and peter’s arrival.
They managed to get here after a very late flight and a lost bag but quickly recovered the next day with a sail out to sombrero key for some snorkeling. After several dives we left due to very rough waves and the eruption of seasickness by some of the crew. They were able to see mama and baby manatees, lots of birds (including frigates), a giant sea turtle but no dolphins for Eric. It was a great week to enjoy our time together doing more snorkeling and lots of drinking in key west. We were sad when they left but have since recovered and now spend lots of time learning the area before we leave.
The focus is now on our crossing to the Bahamas and after several meetings here at the marina we are beginning to develop a plan. We will leave here in the next week or so when we get a weather window and go to rodriguez key. From there we will cross the gulf stream and arrive at morgan’s bluff on Andros island to check into the Bahamas. We have talked with many people and this seems to be the most painless crossing point with easiest customs office. This will put us in a good position to explore the exumas. At this time we have another catalina 42 named resolve who are also from the Chesapeake bay and we will travel together for the crossing and however long we want to go in the same direction.
There are many things to do in marathon most of which include alcohol but also fun. There was a craft beer festival in park adjacent to mooring field several weeks ago. This weekend in the same park is a celtic festival with bands and food trucks, oh, and beer. There is a pot luck sat night at marina with open mic so good music and more drinking. It seems most nights you can go somewhere by dinghy and hear live music for the price of a beer. We have quickly discovered the name of the game is flexibility. You might have plans but then someone proposes something else so your plans in sand change. No worries, it’s all fun.
As I’m writing this greg is napping as he has been working hard installing a new alternator and didn’t sleep well last night due to high winds through the anchorage. Since we arrived the temp has never been below 70 at night and humid but with these winds the high today was 71 so people are wearing sweaters and acting like we’re in the artic. We are enjoying the cooler weather and being able to put on a hoodie for a change.
Next update will probably be from Bahamas so stay warm and stay tuned. Miss you all.
Comments
Vessel Name: kanga
Vessel Make/Model: catalina 42
Hailing Port: havre de grace, md
Crew: greg and paula smith

Who: greg and paula smith
Port: havre de grace, md