kruisin kanga

26 January 2016
13 January 2016
11 January 2016
26 November 2015
08 November 2015
30 October 2015
26 October 2015
22 October 2015
08 January 2015 | marathon, florida
15 December 2014 | melbourne, fl
13 December 2014 | new smyrna beach, fl
12 December 2014 | st augustine
11 December 2014
10 December 2014 | doboy sound, Georgia
08 December 2014 | beaufort, s.c.
07 December 2014
06 December 2014
05 December 2014 | n myrtle beach, SC
30 November 2014 | churchville md

moving through the low country

11 January 2016
Touring through the low country of South Carolina includes lots of birds, dolphins and hunters. It's fascinating to watch them all. The pelicans fly together and coast along riding the breeze without any apparent effort while the dolphins do the same in the water. Egrets and Herons are wading in the marshes and the hunters are disguised in their boats that look like marshes. Unlike the eastern shore of Maryland where hunters hide in blinds these hunters cover their boats in marsh grass and just anchor them in the creeks surrounded by decoys.
Prior to leaving Little River Greg gave my phone a bath while filling the water tanks. How does water always find the one thing on the boat that can't tolerate being wet. We buried it in rice and hoped for the best but by Georgetown we realized it was hopeless so ordered a new one to meet us in Beaufort. This left us without internet as Greg has an antique flip phone and open wifi is rare despite our booster.
While in Georgetown we learned about the impacts of the October flooding and enjoyed the history and architecture. A dinner out and long walk are always welcome when living on a boat and we were able to enjoy both.
Thankfully we have the "little buddy" to keep us warm. It is a small indoor propane heater which we agonized over buying and storing before leaving in October. Thank you Al and Betty Caffo s/v Summer Semester for turning us onto this life saving device. We love it!!
Our hope is to do an overnight sail from Beaufort to Fernandina Beach, Fl. but if the nighttime temps don't get out of the 30's we'll be meandering through Georgia once again. Georgia is a very nice place but the ICW takes about 200 miles to go 100 miles. A long slow ride we would rather not take. We'll see what the wind gods have in mind and plan accordingly.
Comments
Vessel Name: kanga
Vessel Make/Model: catalina 42
Hailing Port: havre de grace, md
Crew: greg and paula smith

Who: greg and paula smith
Port: havre de grace, md