1983 SUNWARD 48 KETCH
DESIGNER: Sparkman & Stephens
BUILDER: Sunward Yacht Corp., Wilmington, NC, USA
LOA: 48' / 14.63 m LWL: 38'6" / 11.73 m
BEAM: 14'3" / 4.34 m DRAFT: 6'0" / 1.8 m
DISPL: 50,000 lb / 22,680 kg BALLAST: 16,500 lb / 7,484 kg
RIG: Cutter/Ketch SAIL AREA: 1224 sq ft / 113.7 sq m
MOTOR: Westerbeke 100 hp (4570 hrs)
GENERATOR: Westerbeke 8kw (5657 hrs)
FUEL: 2 built in fiberglass tanks total 400 gal / 1514 ltr
WATER: 2 built in fiberglass tanks total 400 gal / 1514 ltr
The Sunward 48 is a heavy built, hand laid, solid fiberglass hulled yacht designed by Sparkman & Stephens and has earned a reputation as the ultimate offshore, bluewater cruiser. Karma is a cut away front, full keel, center cockpit staysail - ketch that combines excellent performance, superior sea keeping and stability, plus easy handling and luxurious accommodations.
Karma is hull # 14 and was one of the very few boats that were finished by the factory in Wilmington, NC. There were a total of 27 hulls built but some of them were completed by the owners. The most desired were the ones finished by Sunward Yachts and it is evident by the outstanding interior joinery and finish in teak, mahogany and ash.
Accommodations include three separate cabins and two heads, forward v-berth for two, to starboard is forward head, to port is an over/under bunk room for two, Port midship pilot berth sleeps one. Aft cabin includes a private head with separate tub & shower, queen size athwart ships bed sleeps two.
In the starboard pass through to the aft cabin, Karma also features a walk in engine/equipment room. The engine room also has a port and starboard sea chest that puts the intake and exit thru-hulls in one location.
Karma is being offered fully equipped with all safety equipment, tools, and extensive spare parts & equipment inventory included. Karma has been especially equipped for extended cruising in high latitudes. The tankage capacity of water and fuel is very unique and allows a cruising range seldom seen in a boat under 60 feet (18.3 m). The "Reflex" diesel heater provides ambient heat and has built in hydronic heating with radiators in the v-berth and aft cabin, it also heats the hot water for the boat. Karma has an 8kw generator, located under the pilot berth, and a water maker that can produce 27 gal per hour (102 L per hour).
The equipment list and spares for Karma is too extensive to list in total. Some of the equipment is referenced below:
• 2 275 watt solar panels and an "Outback" FM-80 charge controller
• "Luke" 3 blade feathering propeller
• "Vetus" bow thruster
• 1000 amp/hour "Lifeline" AGM house battery bank
• Separate AGM batteries for the windless/bow thruster and engine start
• "Xantrex Freedom Marine 30" invertor/charger with "Link 2000" controller/monitor display
• "Pro Nautic" 12-40p 3 battery bank charger that can run on 220v or 120v ac input
• Custom fuel management system that allows fuel polishing and transfer between tanks
• 3 "Racor" water separator/filters
• "Kiss" wind generator
• "ICOM 710" SSB radio with "Pactor 3" modem for email
• 2 vhf radios with remote mikes in cockpit
• "Winslow" offshore 6 person life raft with hand held emergency water maker
• Automatic Halon fire suppression extinguisher in engine room plus 3 other fire extinguishers
• "ACR" 406 epirb with GPS Model RLB-36
• "Jordan Series" drogue with dedicated chain plates
• "Achilles" 9' 2" model HB-280DX hypalon rigid hull inflatable (new 2011) with sun cover.
• Yamaha 15hp 2 cycle outboard and Spare: Tohatsu 5hp outboard
• 2 freezers and 1 refrigerator custom built with vacuum insulated panels. 3 "Frigoboat" keel cooled "Danfoss" BD-50 compressors with variable speed controllers.
• 2 built in air conditioning systems
• "Spade" model S180 75 lb primary anchor with 300 feet of "D-4" high strength chain
• "Comnav" hydraulic auto pilot
• "Comnav" integrated electronics with multiple displays with AIS receiver
• "Raymarine" 48 mile radar
• 2 "Ray Marine" E120 chart plotters
• 4 Scuba tanks stored on deck with a regulator and 50' (15.2 m) hose
• 2 Sit in 10.5 feet (3.2 m) Kayaks stored in custom brackets off stanchions
Karma is currently located in Puerto Williams, Chile and is being offered for sale for $250,000 USD
For further information please email Clinton Burnett at email@example.com