Karma

Vessel Name: Karma1
Vessel Make/Model: Columbia 45
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James and Dody
About: James has been sailing for most of his life, starting with dinghy sailing around 8 years old. Dody is a loving 1st mate who hopes that James knows what he is doing.
Extra: "Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made" - Robert N.Rose
21 October 2014 | Alberta, Canada
10 October 2014 | Alberta, Canada
10 March 2014 | lago Isabel on Karma 1
18 February 2014 | RAM Marina
15 February 2014 | RAM Marina
11 February 2014 | Rio dulce, Guatemala
07 February 2014 | RAM Marina
31 January 2014 | Guatemala
30 January 2014 | RAM marina
29 January 2014
29 January 2014 | RAM marina
22 December 2013 | Merida, mexico
04 December 2013 | Rio Dulce, Fronteras, Guatemals
02 December 2013 | Lago Izabal, Guatemala
27 November 2013 | Guatemala City
13 October 2013
09 October 2013 | RAM Boatyard, Rio Dulce...
07 October 2013 | Rio Dulce, Guatemala
06 October 2013 | Rio Dulce, Guatemala
05 October 2013 | Dartmouth
Recent Blog Posts
21 October 2014 | Alberta, Canada

Salty dreams...

I've got a case of salty dreams and wanderlust. I can hardly wait til we cut the dock lines and chase adventure on the sea! @ back to Karma soon !:)

10 October 2014 | Alberta, Canada

Autumn Update

It is Indian Summer, and we are in the process of closing up our home in the beautiful mountainous and plan for our annual migratory trek to be on S/V Karma. It's been an adventurous Summer vagabonding around, tending to the Orchard, visiting family and friends out East and enjoying the east coast. You can catch a ray of our journey as we prepare to travel down the Cali Seaboard to be back in Guatemala! let the journey begin! ~~

10 March 2014 | lago Isabel on Karma 1

journey forward

beautiful life...

18 February 2014 | RAM Marina

Splash!

Whew!

15 February 2014 | RAM Marina

OMG! Naranja!!!!

They painted the boot stripe!

11 February 2014 | Rio dulce, Guatemala

Strange tropical fruit make me happy!

There is no end to exotic fruit in tropical Guatemala. From one day to the next the selection changes.  The nice thing about Guatemala is that Each time I go to town I'm surprised by something new! The other nice thing is that it's so cheap! Although they have fruit you'll recognize such as mango, pineapple, [...]

Minoosh Delivery (Leg 7: Saint John, Limping though the Reversing Falls)

24 July 2013 | Reversing Falls
James/Fair, with patches of clouds.
Limping through the Reversing Falls.

Up early-ish. Over to hardware stores to see if we can find some tools to bash the motor mount into some kind of useful shape, and the boat store to grab some spark plugs for our overworked, but very appreciated outboard.

The plan is to get through the Reversing Falls and into safer waters for the time being. The outboard, having taken a soaking the day before, is intermittent at best. I certainly don't want to try to run up the river on an engine that sputters every 3-4 minutes and makes me wonder if it will live.

The wiki on the falls: The Reversing Falls is an interesting water feature caused by the Fundy tides. The Saint John river runs through a narrow gorge before emptying into the Bay of Fundy. However, due to the extreme tides in the Bay of Fundy, high tides actually force the flow of water to reverse against the prevailing river current, thus making them actually reverse. The "falls" have a series of underwater ledges which roil the water in either direction, causing a "significant navigation hazard". As a result, vessels wishing to enter or exit from the river must wait for slack tide.

I had called up and asked about the best time to go. I was told 4:00pm. So, we were puttering with the boat at 10:30, waiting for Amanda to arrive, when another boat mentioned that he was going through at 11:19. Apparently, slack tide is about 2 hours on either side of high tide, so I wanted to take that window!

So, having bashed the motor mount into submission, we remounted the motor, got it sputtering to life, and just in time, Amanda showed up and we were off.

I was a little apprehensive. The rush to get ready didn't leave a lot of time for briefings, or even planning. Nursing the motor along, we proceeded from the floating docks by the Delta hotel upriver about half a kilometer. In spite of being about 15 minutes late, we figured we could handle what we saw.

Compared to what we had gone through the days before, the reversing falls was easy peasy! There was a little current pushing the bow around, but nothing terribly rough. We scooted right through with a minor push from the incoming tide.

Ryan, standing on the bow ready to warn me of any danger, looked positively disgusted. We had been thinking that the "Reversing Falls" would be a Boss level! This treacherous gorge of whirling waters, sucking boats into waiting rocks. Instead it was a gentle push through the easily read channel.

We were through and on the other side of the falls in minutes. Almost too quick to realize.

All well and good, thinks I. We're on the fresh water side now, but we have a boat with no electrics, a bashed motor mount, a dodgy engine, and a dog tired crew. Time for a little celebratory Craken rum for each of us, a short sail to show Amanda the boat, then get the motor in for service as well as getting a new motor mount.

We tied up at the Saint John Marina, where they charged me $60 for leaving the boat for a week. Much better than the $40 the guys in Digby scalped me for one night. And they were friendly.

So, having taken care of the boat, our adventure would be delayed until we had a solid motor mount, and a serviced engine.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
Madcap
Karma IV