Adventure on the Katie G

13 November 2019 | At sea
01 June 2019
31 March 2019
31 March 2019 | Annemonet Island, Majuro Atoll, RMI
26 October 2018 | Ebeye, Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
18 February 2018 | Majuro, Marshall Islands
10 December 2017 | Majuro , MArshall Islands
12 October 2017
19 September 2017
08 August 2017
09 July 2017
29 June 2017
28 June 2017
20 June 2017
03 June 2017
25 May 2017
25 May 2017
25 May 2017 | 40 NM from Hiva Oa, Marquesas French Polynesia
24 May 2017

Update #12

20 June 2017
I will give this update another go. I had a long one done and then POOF, it vanished into thin air.

Where to start. Perhaps with today.

We are sitting in a restaurant that some of you may have seen pics of yesterday with our fist FB posts in close to 2 months. The time has flown by. Today, while trying to Internet, (sketchy service) we had a most incredible downpour! Blankets of rain that seemed to come into the restaurant from all directions. There is a very large wooden roof covering, picnic-like tables and chairs, a wooden bar with a few stools and some large trees that are huge - the branches overhang portions of the patio.

A minute ago, I thought it would clear up, now it has started again to rain, the kind that obliterates everything except the outline of the mountains across the bay. Our boat will be getting a fresh water wash.

Yesterday, we left the boat after resetting the stern anchor the day before. We did not feel good about leaving the boat. Last one in and close quarters. With the reset, we are more comfortable, and the boats have all changed in the meantime, so now we are first in - the reality of anchoring. First in has all the right of way.

When I last wrote we were sitting in Atuona on Hiva OA. The anchorage was rolly and we were waiting to leave to find a calmer anchorage to work on the generator. Well, that happened. We moved twice and found a beautiful, calm anchorage called Hanaiapa Bay.

Chuck was able to pull the 400 lb. generator out of it's hole, swivel it, and do all the tests and investigating. With some email help from our guru, Deny, he found the issue.

Thankfully it was not the fresh water pump, as the person who repaired it was suggesting, but the thermostat ( believe it or not - it was put in backwards - yes it is possible to put it in totally backwards and it still fit together - it sits encased in a spring).

Very long 3 day story short, Chuck realized that the pictures in the manual were opposite to how the thermostat sat when he took it out. Everything got put back together. So, the generator is working perfectly at the moment, we are enjoying being able to charge the batteries when the solar panels can not keep up to our consumption.

We left Hiva Oa and set sail for Fatu HIva. We enjoyed the anchorage where we were anchored with several other boats. The anchorage we were in was called the Bay of Virgins. It is in the book we have that lists "places you want to see before you die"- ticked off- BOOM!

As the Internet is sketchy, I can't post pics but you can look it up on the internet or on any travel book on French Polynesia and that is exactly what it looks like. It was renamed by priests who thought Bay of Penises unacceptable.

However, the photos speak for themselves. We had a great hike up the mountain to a cascading waterfall that had a wonderful pool to wash off the mud accumulated from the hike up. We left Fatu Hiva and had a wonderful sail, Genny only, as the main was in need of repair.

We got to Tahauata Island into one of the most picturesque anchorages imaginable: swaying palms, white sand, and gentle surf. Well, relatively gentle. I did manage to get rolled in my kayak going ashore.

We repaired the main, had to resew 3 of the four batten slides. Did that by hand. Put on anther couple of patches and then Chuck managed to get the sewing machine working and we were able to get a large piece that the thread had rotted on re-sewn. We left there satisfied with a job well done. We did not hoist the main for the down wind sail to Oa PAu. While in Tahuata, an Italian boat invited us to join them for supper- spaghetti - yummy and authentic. They definitely cook it less than I do and most other Canadian spaghetti I have tasted.

So that is about it Folks. We are currently looking at purchasing some vegetable and fruits - veggies especially are hard to find. We are getting accustomed to Island life. The bakery opens at 5:00 am and they are sold out of baguettes by 0700. The grocery/hardware store opens at 0545 every day except Sun. It stays open apparently all day till 5:00pm.

We will see how the day unfolds. I think we leave tomorrow for Nuka Hiva- the other major provisioning and check- in port. We plan to get diesel, and gas, propane, provision and head for the Tuamotos. The weather has been poor for going to the Tuamotos and several boats we know have had to put off their departures.

Okay, life in Paradise is green, warm and different than home- that's for sure.

As always, we love getting your news so please don't stop sending your updates to us. We miss all of you, truly.

Karen ( Best Mate) and Chuck ( Skipper)
Comments
Vessel Name: Katie G
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 46
Crew: Chuck Gauthier and Karen Thomas
About:
Hailing from Banff Alberta, Canada. We bought the Katie G in Dana Pt. Calif. [...]
Extra: Now we are leaving Mazatlan to head to the Baja and La Paz. A few jobs to do there and then up the islands and back across the Sea of Cortez to San Carlos to put the boat away for the summer.
Katie G's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 9 March 2017