Katrina's travels

05 September 2019 | Dartmouth
24 July 2019
20 June 2019 | Falmouth
09 April 2019 | Darthaven
26 September 2018 | Brixham
18 September 2018 | Plymouth
25 August 2018 | Falmouth
19 August 2018 | Plymouth
15 June 2018 | St Peter Port Guernsey
27 May 2018 | Brixham
04 September 2017 | Dartmouth
26 August 2017 | Falmouth
18 August 2017 | Milford Haven
11 August 2017 | Dun Laoghaire
03 August 2017 | Bangor Northern Ireland
26 July 2017 | Ballycastle
21 July 2017 | Muck
16 July 2017 | Tobermory
13 July 2017 | Kilchoan

Highland games

21 July 2017 | Muck
The Scottish weather changed plans a bit, with bad weather now forecast! Alan & Ann (and dog Willow) from New Dawn came on board for a drink at gin o’clock on Sunday evening. We set off early on Monday morning with the changed weather forecast meaning we headed for nearer Muck rather than Canna. The sky was overcast and the sea quite lumpy as we headed north west past Ardnamurchan Point out to Muck, one of the Small Isles. The pilot book says it has a population of approximately 38. The highlight of the voyage was a golden eagle flying slowly over the top of us. Very exciting. It was quite windy but calmed a bit when we dropped anchor in the little bay of Port Mor. It is a really nice place with seals on the nearby rocks, black guillemots playing and pretty views all around except for the small fish dock and bins.
M&N paddled Annie to the new plastic small boat dock and went for a lovely walk across the island to Gallanach Bay which is the other anchorage for Muck if the wind is from the east. The bay has a colony of seals and has Caribbean-like white sand beaches and turquoise water. Not a Caribbean-like temperature though with a chilly wind from the west. M&N stopped at the tiny shop/café on the way back. It was sheltered from the wind and they had delicious home-made honey ice cream made from local Muck honey. They paddled Annie back having surprisingly failed to find any brass (well, Yorkshire folk say where there’s muck there’s brass, ha ha). We had been joined in the bay by a couple of other yachts and we had shamed one of them into flying an anchor ball which we do but a lot of boats up here don’t. We would rather have one flying to show we are at anchor, with fishing boats, work boats and ferries using the bay.
Next morning was clear and stunning with blue sky and fantastic visibility. We had a “champagne sail” back to Ardnamuchan Point with great views of the Cuillin mountains of Skye and Rum. We could also see Canna in the distance as well as Eigg and Coll. The wind picked up as forecast and we headed back to Tobermory to shelter from the upcoming wind and rain. A lot of people had the same idea and it was very busy, but we were luckily able to find a slot on the pontoons.
Thursday was really windy, blowing near gale force from the south east. Nearly all the boats stayed, glad of the shelter of Tobermory. M&N hired a car and drove the very scenic 50 miles down Mull to Fionnphort where they took the CalMac ferry for the short trip across the water to Iona. They enjoyed walking around despite the very strong winds, and the scenery on the island and on Mull are spectacular. M&N visited Iona Abbey (of St Columba fame) and looked at the nearby small anchorages at Bull Hole and Tinker’s Hole on Mull, and the completely untenable anchorage off Iona in that wind. Despite the wind being from the south east, so no sea to cross, it had whipped up the narrow Sound of Iona into big whitecaps which were challenging for the Staffa tour boat and the Calmac ferry. The few local boats on moorings were bouncing around like toys. The drive back to Tobermory was very scenic, using a small road along a loch and through the mountains. The forecast rain arrived in the early evening and it rained solidly until the morning, so M&N stayed tucked up on board.
The weather changed on Thursday and a lot of boats headed out. M&N had decided to stay as it was the day of the Mull Highland Games taking place at Tobermory golf club. We heard the sound of bagpipes and M&N joined the throng walking with the pipe band from the harbour up the hill to the golf club. The day was fantastic for M&N who spent it sitting on a small hill enjoying the Scottish dancing, piping, light events (racing & jumping) and heavy events (throwing various objects and tossing the caber – see photo). The atmosphere there was very friendly and a nice community spirit, all helped by sunshine and light wind, not to mention the beer tent.
Friday has been a day of provisioning, cleaning me, sorting out Annie and doing laundry ready for leaving early on Saturday morning (weather permitting) for the next stage of our journey. This time we hope to spend a few days at anchor so I expect to be quiet for a while. Till next time, slainte mhath (good health and cheers).
Katrina
x

Comments
Vessel Name: Katrina
Vessel Make/Model: Malo 36
Hailing Port: Dartmouth, UK
Crew: Mike & Nicola Pleass
About: Welcome to my blog. I am Katrina, a Malo 36 sailboat. I was born in Sweden and now live in the UK with Mike & Nicola.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/katrinayacht
Katrina's Photos - Main
West Country and Scillies 2019
16 Photos
Created 2 August 2019
2017 Western Scotland then return to Dartmouth via Ireland, Wales and the West Country
52 Photos
Created 8 September 2017
Rum, Ardnamurchan, Tobermory, Staffa ansd Fingal's cave
27 Photos
Created 19 August 2016
Inverness to Orkney then round Cape Wrath down to Mallaig
35 Photos
Created 15 August 2016
Caledonian Canal July 2016 with Jon and Linda
33 Photos
Created 31 July 2016
29 Photos
Created 7 June 2016
Relaunch after wintering in Ardrossan and season start in the Firth of Clyde
17 Photos
Created 7 June 2016
Some photos from South West Scotland and the Firth of Clyde area
29 Photos
Created 30 August 2015
Some photos from Northern Ireland
27 Photos
Created 23 July 2015
A few photos from Ireland
17 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
A few photos from South Wales
8 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
A few photos to remind us of our West Country travels.
24 Photos
Created 29 May 2015
General photos of Katrina
5 Photos
Created 25 March 2015

Katrina

Who: Mike & Nicola Pleass
Port: Dartmouth, UK