Katrina's travels

05 September 2019 | Dartmouth
24 July 2019
20 June 2019 | Falmouth
09 April 2019 | Darthaven
26 September 2018 | Brixham
18 September 2018 | Plymouth
25 August 2018 | Falmouth
19 August 2018 | Plymouth
15 June 2018 | St Peter Port Guernsey
27 May 2018 | Brixham
04 September 2017 | Dartmouth
26 August 2017 | Falmouth
18 August 2017 | Milford Haven
11 August 2017 | Dun Laoghaire
03 August 2017 | Bangor Northern Ireland
26 July 2017 | Ballycastle
21 July 2017 | Muck
16 July 2017 | Tobermory
13 July 2017 | Kilchoan

Shake down cruise to Cawsand

23 May 2019
Michael Pleass
I was out of the water for just over a week having some new anti-foul and anodes. Back in the water again on Tuesday. M&N came on board on Wednesday and loaded up the cruising essentials (beer, wine, gin, tonic and some food). We set off from Darthaven into a rolly sea on Thursday for a shake-down cruise west for a few days. After about 45 minutes the automatic bilge pump came on and wouldn’t turn off, meaning that water was entering the bilge despite M making sure it was empty that morning. M checked and there was water in the bilge and under the engine, looking like maybe a leak in the engine cooling system. We turned back to Darthaven where luckily the chief engineer was able to have a quick look. It turned out to be a cracked fresh water pump and nothing to do with the engine, so OK to go for our cruise and get a new water pump on our return.
We had missed the strong Spring tide around Start Point so waited until Friday and headed out again. We had a lovely sail down the stunning South Hames coastline to the River Yealm where we picked up a mooring buoy in this quiet and peaceful spot. It was cold and damp so hot water bottles were called into action.
Next morning we left the Yealm and headed up Plymouth Sound to Plymouth Yacht Haven at Mountbatten. M&N had been there by land during their South West Coast Path walk but it was a first by sea for all of us. It is a nice sheltered marina with good facilities and friendly staff. M&N had a good walk in the afternoon then drinks and dinner on board.
The next day we sailed the short distance across Plymouth Sound and past Drakes’s Island to the anchorage off Cawsand (see photo). It was sunny but quite windy. M&N went ashore in Annie (Annie Avon, our dinghy) for a stroll in the twin village (part in Devon and part in Cornwall) then back on board to watch the comings and goings of boats in the anchorage, finally leaving a few of us to spend the night in the bay. My new LED anchor light worked well.
On Sunday we lifted the anchor and started out from the bay. A black RIB with flashing blue lights and armed (but very polite) marines came over and asked us to stay around Cawsand until a big Naval ship had gone through the channel. We weren’t going to argue! The wind dropped as forecast and we motored to Salcombe where we picked up a mooring buoy. M&N went ashore in Annie. It is a lovely mooring with lots going on as well as picturesque.
The wind was also forecast to be light the next day but as soon as we were out of Salcombe it picked up to a nice force 4 for an enjoyable sail back around Start Point and into the Dart, to moor up at Darthaven late morning. Mark & Sarah were working on their boat which had been out of the water for a week, so they came on board for a drink. M&N had gone to get some provisions and Sarah called them to say that a visiting French boat had rammed me while making a mess of getting into the berth next to me. Luckily no damage despite then having three attempts and hitting me each time, Maybe something to do with Brexit! M&N stayed on board overnight then did boat jobs and clearing up, going home in the afternoon.
A very good shake down cruise for the season. We are looking forward to the next cruise in June!
Katrina
xx

Comments
Vessel Name: Katrina
Vessel Make/Model: Malo 36
Hailing Port: Dartmouth, UK
Crew: Mike & Nicola Pleass
About: Welcome to my blog. I am Katrina, a Malo 36 sailboat. I was born in Sweden and now live in the UK with Mike & Nicola.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/katrinayacht
Katrina's Photos - Main
West Country and Scillies 2019
16 Photos
Created 2 August 2019
2017 Western Scotland then return to Dartmouth via Ireland, Wales and the West Country
52 Photos
Created 8 September 2017
Rum, Ardnamurchan, Tobermory, Staffa ansd Fingal's cave
27 Photos
Created 19 August 2016
Inverness to Orkney then round Cape Wrath down to Mallaig
35 Photos
Created 15 August 2016
Caledonian Canal July 2016 with Jon and Linda
33 Photos
Created 31 July 2016
29 Photos
Created 7 June 2016
Relaunch after wintering in Ardrossan and season start in the Firth of Clyde
17 Photos
Created 7 June 2016
Some photos from South West Scotland and the Firth of Clyde area
29 Photos
Created 30 August 2015
Some photos from Northern Ireland
27 Photos
Created 23 July 2015
A few photos from Ireland
17 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
A few photos from South Wales
8 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
A few photos to remind us of our West Country travels.
24 Photos
Created 29 May 2015
General photos of Katrina
5 Photos
Created 25 March 2015

Katrina

Who: Mike & Nicola Pleass
Port: Dartmouth, UK