Kegley's Sailing Adventures

Livin' the dream sailing the seas with 2 humans and 2 pups!

Anchored in Lewes DE!

First, just wanted to say we appreciate all of you who are following our journey and the positive feedback from the blog! We love your comments!

Yesterday, we left Delaware City to head to Lewes Beach, DE early morning! Unfortunately, the wind was not ideal for sailing so we motored the entire way. Mike did some fishing and had a few bites, which was awesome - he enjoyed it very much and can't wait to catch that first fish - and I can't wait to eat it! On the way, we also saw lots of dolphins (didn't get a good picture yet since they are quick and disappear when the boat gets close), but don't worry I will!



Amanda did her first barre workout while underway - how exciting!!




Figuring out where to anchor is definitely a challenge, but it's all part of the experience. For Lewes DE, I picked an anchorage that got good reviews and close to where we can dingy into town (Roosevelt Inlet on Navionics). We can see all of Lewes Delaware beaches which is cool!

We arrived around 3pm and relaxed a bit before heading into town. The dingy ride to town through Roosevelt Inlet is a nice, but long ride - at least 20 minutes.





Instead of docking at the public dingy dock, we docked right at the restaurant, Wheelhouse Bar & Grill. We met some cool local people at the bar and of course they loved both Griff and Oreo. We didn't stay too late since we had to go back and feed the docks and take them potty. We decided to dighy them over to a secluded beach on Cape Henlopen Beach. Saying they had a blast was an understatement - the most happiest I have been them both on the beach playing together!





We had the entire beach to ourselves and saw a very beautiful sunset.





So far, this is definitely my favorate anchorage of the trip, even though it is a bit exposed being so close to the ocean. But there is some protection by the breakwaters.

Today, we took the dogs in to potty in a beach right in the inlet. Amanda is working and Mike is going into town to refuel. We plan to go into town later.

The plan is to head directly to Block Island from here - we are just figuring exactly when we will leave. We want to make sure we don't head into the ocean the first time while dark, we arrive at Block Island during the day to get situated, and of course the winds and waves - ocean conditions are not too rough. Will keep you updated!


Comments