22 November 2009 | Tutukaka
11 November 2009
10 November 2009
07 November 2009
07 November 2009
03 November 2009
01 October 2009
29 September 2009
05 September 2009 | Nuku'alofa
27 August 2009
27 August 2009
23 August 2009
16 August 2009
12 August 2009
09 August 2009
08 August 2009
08 August 2009

Life at Beveridge Reef

12 August 2009
All three boats that were here when we arrived (Dosia, Bagheera, Brick House) left by the end of the day we arrived. Brick House had been here a week, and decided it was time to move on. Dosia left first---they lost their dinghy here a few days earlier. It probably broke away under the wind and waves, and was driven over the reef or through the pass and is on its own journey round the world, or at least, to Tonga or Australia. We're all being extra careful with our dinghies now, as there is quite a lot of wave action bouncing them around if they're tied up behind the boats.

On the morning of the second day (10th), the yacht Content arrived --- this is Nick and Marls from Hobart, Tasmania. We took the crews of all three boats and two dinghies on Kena for a full day of diving. The first phase was a series of drift dives through the pass. The flow is always out. While Kena hovered to one side of the pass at the outside, the dinghies went to the inside of the reef, everyone jumped over, and the whole ensemble drifted through the pass with everyone in loose association with the dinghies. Tomas had his first encounter with a school of sharks, some of which were feeding on a large school of fish on a ridge in the pass. After doing this five or six times, we then anchored Kena on the outside of the reef to the south of the pass and went diving directly from her. From there, we moved back through the pass and inside the lagoon to the south to look for the fabled large lobsters. The scouting party returned with the leg of a very large lobster, but that was all. They seem to be fairly well hidden, and in the case of the one that they tried to get, well entrenched. It was decided that we'd have to do night diving to have the best chance of finding them. Throughout, the visibility was just amazing---about the best we've ever seen, and somewhat over 100 meters.

The wind has been increasing steadily, and will peak through the night tonight. We are anchored on the sand shelf on the eastern side of the lagoon and the wind is from the south east. The highest speed we've seen so far is in the low 30 knots and the grib files tell us to expect gusts up to 40 or more tonight.

Yesterday and today we swam to the reef from the boat. It's somewhere between a quarter and a half mile. There is huge surf crashing onto the reef, which generates a strong current from the reef towards the boats, so it takes up to 45 minutes of hard swimming to get to the reef. Over the reef, the current is much stronger, and in certain areas it is only possible to move forward by grabbing parts of the reef and pulling yourself forward. The whole thing is a major aerobic workout.

In spite of the high winds, the visibility remains outstanding. The coral at the reef is very alive, and there are many different fishes, eels, and sharks. Swimming around the boat is amazing, as the boat is suspended in light blue space and totally clear.

We're disappointed that the wind continues to stay high. It's going to be very difficult to do a night dive for lobsters under these conditions. Still, it's an amazing place. The colors of the water, the crashing surf on the reef all around the horizon, the howling in the rigging, and the whitecaps in the lagoon make a dramatic picture.

We've been visiting with the crews of the other two boats, and have provided them with movies and software support for playing them, so now they are hunkered down, watching movie after movie!

Tane has just spent some time trying to spear a fish near the boat, but was interrupted by a black tip shark that became very interested in the proceedings. We've been doing some fishing from the boat, and have so far caught a queenfish and a jobfish, both quite large. If we leave the line out unattended, it always comes back with just a frayed end, minus the hook, and any weights. We suspect that a smaller fish gets on, then a shark comes along and takes the lot.

---------- radio email processed by SailMail for information see:
Vessel Name: Kena
Vessel Make/Model: Ganley Pacemaker 40
Hailing Port: Tutukaka, New Zealand
Crew: Roger, Sally, Tane, Hunters all
About: The Hunter family: Roger, originally from Tutukaka, New Zealand Sally, from Tasmania, Australia and Tane is from New Mexico.
Extra: This leg of the trip is from Puerto Lucia, Ecuador to New Zealand.
Kena's Photos - Main
Playing in the world's smallest independent nation.
47 Photos
Created 15 September 2009
A few picks of Roratonga, where we picked up Tomas, and of the incredible Beveridge Reef
20 Photos
Created 1 September 2009
Our adventure in the islands of Tahaa and Raiatea in The Society Islands
18 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
Mystical Bora Bora in French Polynesia
31 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
The Sailing Rendezvous in Tahiti and Moorea, plus a little of Huahine
35 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
Our journey through the coral atolls of the Tuamotus in French Polynesia
65 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
Tahuata, Ua Huka and Nuku Hiva
48 Photos
Created 12 May 2009
25 days of open seas and our first few days on Hiva Oa
51 Photos
Created 28 April 2009
Our journeys to Puerto Lucia, Cuenca, Guayaquil and about
55 Photos
Created 25 March 2009
Our journey through the Galapagos Islands.
50 Photos
Created 17 April 2008
37 Photos
Created 17 April 2008
14 Photos
Created 18 March 2008
49 Photos
Created 6 March 2008
46 Photos
Created 22 February 2008
58 Photos
Created 26 January 2008
Mazatlan South
58 Photos
Created 9 January 2008

S/V Kena

Who: Roger, Sally, Tane, Hunters all
Port: Tutukaka, New Zealand