John & Bernie Go Cruising

The Crew

Who: John & Bernie Warren
08 February 2014 | Aghios Nikalaos
14 September 2013 | Sitia, Crete
17 February 2011 | Thornbury, Gloucestershire
19 September 2010
18 June 2010 | Thira (Santorini)
26 May 2010 | Milos, Cyclades
15 May 2010
15 May 2010
08 March 2010
02 November 2009
02 November 2009 | Preveza
30 September 2009 | Nidri, Levkas
24 September 2009 | Fiskardo - Cephalonia

Ooops - more problems

30 September 2009 | Nidri, Levkas
We spent 4 days in Fiskardo following Bernie's birthday when the weather kept us holed up due to Force 5-6 winds, locally Force 7 and heavy rain and thunderstorms. We eventually got a good forecast for Monday 28th with winds dropping to Force 4-5 and later 3-4 so we set off to travel north through the Meganissi Channel to Nidri.

Unfortunately after sailing for just under 3 miles there was a loud bang and John looked up to discover that one of the lower backstays had snapped. Fortunately the mainsail was sheeted in quite hard and no other damage was done. We dropped all sails and motored to Nidri with a temporary backstay rigged up and have spent the last 2 days here waiting for it to be fixed - now done and not as expensive as anticipated - phew.

While here we walked up the valley to a local waterfall anticipating that it might actually have water in it after the rain. When we got there we found that there was just a trickle of water but at least the pools at the bottom of each fall were full so we got some idea of what it might be like. We'll have to come back in the spring I think to see the falls in full flow.

We now have about two and a half weeks before we must prepare Kerenne to be lifted out for the winter and then we fly home on October 23rd. We intend to spend this time just mooching around the local islands and then get everything ready around the 14-16th Ocober.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kerenne
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37
Crew: John & Bernie Warren
About:
We bought our Sun Odyssey 37 in December 2003 and retired in 2005 to go cruising. Setting off at the beginning of May 2005 we sailed from Plymouth to the Mediterranean via the coasts of France, Spain and Portugal. [...]
Extra: Apart from sailing our life revolves around our family (5 children between us, 5 Grandchildren so far......) and playing golf. We enjoy socializing with our sailing friends aboard "Kerenne" when we are away and friends and family when at home.

The Crew

Who: John & Bernie Warren