Alpha island - Montebellos
18 June 2021 | 20.24S, 115.32E
Michelle Mews | Cloudy with moderate breezes then sunny!
We spent a couple of good days at Hermite island in the Montebellos. The weather continues to be cool and cloudy with a little rain thrown in which for this time of year is unusual in its longevity! Luckily we have the now fixed awning which provides us with shade and shelter so it remains reasonably comfortable in the cockpit. On Tuesday the boys took off on the dinghy at just before low tide and managed to get us some nice oysters for entrée. Then the ‘Larrikin’ boys went past us and offered up a spangled emperor for our dinner, double yummy! However as we hung the fish over the aft to bleed a 7ft hammerhead shark decided it wanted it as well! Luckily Vic had a good grasp on it and although there were lots of excited gasps we were all too busy to take a photo so you’ll just have to believe us!
On Wednesday, we motored up to Alpha island in the north of the Montebellos. This is a very good anchorage where there were already a number of yachts and power boats, and a chartered boat with DPAW and DPI staff doing some research. We caught up with Rob on Glasshopper (who we had met at Steep Point) and the ‘Larrikin’ boys who were still fishing! Thursday was cold and cloudy and the boys resorted to jackets, trackies and socks! Friday turned out to be a beautiful sunny day so we headed off to visit Alpha island where the atomic bomb was let off. It took us awhile to find the ‘spot’ but we found it eventually, marked by a concrete plinth. After photos were duly taken we came back to the boat as we had invited Rob over for a seafood chowder lunch (delicious!). In the late afternoon Vic and Jen went off for a fish whilst Lindsay and I watched a pod of dolphins frolicking nearby. We informed the local DPAW staff who were very excited to see them as they were doing a dolphin survey in the area. Having done our public duty we sat back and finally watched our first clear sky sunset in 4 weeks. It was a beauty!
We have been keeping a close eye on the weather forecast which has varied from being very windy easterlies (meaning we were heading back to Exmouth) to being light and variable (meaning we were heading to Broome). After much debate, we have instead decided to head to Dampier (Karratha) for food and supplies (the bathroom tap has sprung a leak again so no hot showers until it is fixed!) and then decide whether we will continue north. We motored the 70 nm back to the mainland grateful for the lack of wind and flat seas and arrived at 4am this morning. With some uncertainty in our destination Jen has decided to leave us in Dampier whilst Lindsay will remain for now. The trip has been very challenging so we will take a couple of days to rest and decide where we will go next.