Kimberley Trip 2021

31 August 2021
31 August 2021 | 32.04S, 115.45E
29 August 2021 | 30.17S, 115.03E
27 August 2021
27 August 2021
27 August 2021
27 August 2021 | 28.46S, 114.36E
23 August 2021
23 August 2021 | 26.10S 113.12E
21 August 2021
19 August 2021
19 August 2021
19 August 2021
19 August 2021
19 August 2021

OMG Jen caught a fish!

05 June 2021 | 21.55S, 113.58E
Michelle Mews | Warm and cloudy
Having left Mauds Landing, which turned out to be a rather rocky and rolly anchorage, we headed off to Norwegian Bay on the 4th June. However the weather was quite good so we decided instead to push on to Yardie Creek about 55 miles north of the Landing to try and get some extra miles under our belt. The day was starting to warm up and Jen decided to trawl a line out the back. Well it was all action stations at about 2pm when the reel began to whirr, we had a fish! We pulled back on the engine throttle as Lindsay started to reel it in whilst Jen prepared herself to do the final catch. Vic and Jen then hauled it aboard…. it was a big Spanish mackerel! Measuring at 1.2 metres and about 12kg, Vic got stuck into filleting it with Jen on hand, grinning from ear to ear. Photos were taken before the bones were sent back to the sea. A mighty fine Spanish mackerel meal was had, with plenty left over for several more meals, and all drifted off to bed by 8.45pm.

Yardie creek was no better anchorage, with the boat hanging against the sea waves yet again, so we were thrown around our bunks with Vic and I getting little sleep, although I think Jen and Lindsay managed a few hours. The boys have finally managed to fix the bathroom tap, yeay! So we headed off to Tantabiddy this morning, which is a popular anchorage near the top of Northwest Cape, in the knowledge that we could have a proper shower this afternoon. Arriving just after lunch, we had a relaxing afternoon, some of us had a nap whilst others just sat and watched the charter boats go by. Freshly washed, we sought out the weather forecast, which doesn’t look good for the next couple of days with strong easterly winds making for an uncomfortable passage ahead. So instead we have decided to pull into Exmouth to avoid the worst of the weather and leave later next week for the Monte Bellos if the winds are favourable..


Comments
Vessel Name: Talisman
Vessel Make/Model: 34 foot jarrah plank, full length keel
Hailing Port: Fremantle
Crew: Michelle Mews, Victor Mews, Jenni Valli
About: Michelle, Vic and cousin Jenni are travelling to the Kimberley in NW Australia as part of our 'bucket list' adventure. We will be sailing on our 34 foot jarrah plank, full length keel sailboat named 'Talisman', which we have spent 3 years lovingly restoring to her former glory.