Sailing with KIST

02 June 2012 | San Diego, CA
27 May 2012 | Pacific coast of Baja California
16 May 2012 | Turtle Bay
08 May 2012 | Bahia Magdelena
27 April 2012 | La Paz, Mexico
25 April 2012 | La Paz
14 April 2012 | La Paz
03 April 2012 | La Paz, Mexico
21 March 2012 | Stone Island, Mazatlan
16 March 2012 | La Cruz
09 March 2012 | Melaque, Barra, and Tenacatita
01 March 2012 | Melaque
23 February 2012 | Banderas Bay
08 February 2012 | Banderas Bay
31 January 2012 | Banderas Bay
29 January 2012 | La Cruz
24 January 2012
23 January 2012 | San Blas

Nov 29 (almost caught up)

03 December 2011 | in route to Cabo
Bonnie
The journey from Magdalena Bay to Cabo San Lucas is about 170 miles, in other words, another overnighter! The skies were clear and it never dropped below 70 degrees the entire night...much more pleasant than the 50 degree overnighters to the north of us.

During the day we entertained ourselves in various ways; Kevin fishing, me...not much until Kevin caught a couple of fish. They were Bonitas, the same kind that he caught last time only one was a little larger so we decided to go for it and keep them. That meant that this time I really did need to figure out what to do with it. The meat is redish and instead of cleaning them we heard that the common practice is to just take the fillets. I marinated them in syrup, ginger, and lime similar to a recipe I have for salmon in the hope that they would taste like salmon. No dice--we stunk up the boat and our hands for nothing as we wound up feeding my nicely prepared meal to the bigger fish. Kevin had tortillas with peanutbutter and raisins and I had some more rice. Yummy dinner.

We were sitting in the cockpit after dinner and watched a large bird circle around the boat a few times then land on the mast. Afraid that it would cause some harm to the wind instruments, Kevin tried encouraging it to leave by banging on the sails, shouting, and jerking the halyards around. The bird decided Kevin wasn't anything to fear and remained perched there. He took off, did a few more circles and landings and then finally took off for good. Maybe we were just a midflight rest stop. The wind instruments are no worse for wear which was a good thing as the wind picked up about 1:30 am so we were able to sail for a few hours. The seas were pretty sloppy which doesn't make for a very comfortable sleep for the person off watch. Lucky for me, it was Kevin's turn to sleep. When my turn came the wind and seas calmed down and I got a few good hours in.

When I got up Kevin said I had missed a great dolphin show that went on for a good 45 minutes. Although I was disappointed, it wasn't enough to tell him to wake me next time. It didn't matter though as about a half hour later they came by and gave me a show as well (above picture and for those of you concered about safety note the life jacket ;-). They didn't come as close to KIST as usual but even from a distance you can see them frolic around and jump in the air. I've decided I don't need to go to Sea World...I've got Ocean World!
Comments
Vessel Name: KIST
Vessel Make/Model: Fraser 41
Hailing Port: Bellingham WA
Crew: Kevin and Bonnie Peterson
About: Kevin and Bonnie hail from Bellingham Washington. Kevin is a special education teacher at Mount Baker High School in Deming Washington and Bonnie is a self employed project manager. We have two wonderful daughters and two very special grand daughters whom we are going to miss very much on our trip.

Who: Kevin and Bonnie Peterson
Port: Bellingham WA
Email: sailingkist@yahoo.com