Sailing with KIST

02 June 2012 | San Diego, CA
27 May 2012 | Pacific coast of Baja California
16 May 2012 | Turtle Bay
08 May 2012 | Bahia Magdelena
27 April 2012 | La Paz, Mexico
25 April 2012 | La Paz
14 April 2012 | La Paz
03 April 2012 | La Paz, Mexico
21 March 2012 | Stone Island, Mazatlan
16 March 2012 | La Cruz
09 March 2012 | Melaque, Barra, and Tenacatita
01 March 2012 | Melaque
23 February 2012 | Banderas Bay
08 February 2012 | Banderas Bay
31 January 2012 | Banderas Bay
29 January 2012 | La Cruz
24 January 2012
23 January 2012 | San Blas

Been busy

23 February 2012 | Banderas Bay
Bonnie/80's with threat of shower today
As part of our Banderas Bay explorations we've only moved from La Cruz to Paradise Village (6 miles), back to La Cruz, out to Punta de Mita (8 miles), back to La Cruz, and now, tonight, we are spending one more night at Paradise Village before we start moving south towards Barra de Navidad which is approximately 125 miles.

Why no updates in the past few weeks when we obviously haven't been doing much sailing? Let's see, there's been:

• Surfing in Sayulito (or attempts at surfing) with Jon and Leah from Brio, Christian from Alitair (or something like that, sorry Christian), Rob from Wings of the Dawn, with Stephanie from Camanoe who brought her boogie board but sat with me on the beach to watch the entertainment. Christian gave a few tips and the rest of the group were off in the water trying to catch some waves. Frankly, I'm surprised the bus even stopped to pick us all up, 8 people at a bus stop, 6 boards, and a full bus. Not much room was left over for the locals! Leah and I played a few games of Cribbage with Steph looking on to learn and then we moved onto Uno. Hard day for those on the beach.
• Petroglyph tour. We hiked into the hills to a well maintained but not at all commercial site. This special place contains more than 50 petroglyphs which are thought to be at least 2000 years old. It is believed that the site was treasured for its beauty as well as an abundance of water in an area where water can be scarce during the dry months. The area is still used today for religious ceremonies for the Huicholes who still leave offerings. This was definitely a favorite place of things to see!
• Surfing (or attempts at surfing...again) this time with Dave from Chrysalis while Leiann and I explored Puenta de Mita. Oh, and fought off make believe robbers, ask Leiann.
• Pot luck dinner at a restaurant on the beach in Punta de Mita on Valentines Day with a group of cruiser friends. Business is so slow for some of these guys that they agreed to let us bring our own dinner so long as we bought a beer or two. So, with friends from Marrionetto, Chrysalis, and Jean Marie everyone brought a dish to the restaurant to share and then we played a rip-roaring game of Catchphrase.
• Dinner with Leah and Jon, her family who had come for a visit and were lucky enough to find a great condo right on the beach in front of the anchorage, and Steph and Dave from Camanoe. A great meal, we got to talk with Leah's parents who also have a Fraser 41. The evening ended with another game of Catchphrase and a lot of laughter.
• Surfing...this time with an experienced surfer on a beach outside of Punta de Mita that only locals know about. Kevin was standing on the board a few more times than he has been on the other occasions! I think he's getting the hang of it--or at least he is from my perspective on the beach.
• Goodbye dinner on KIST with Leah and Jon as they are heading back north.
• Attending a fundraiser dinner with Dave and Leiann to help raise money for The Friendship Club. This is an organization that helps the local community.

Surf, eat, surf, eat, maybe hike, eat, surf, eat and you understand why neither of us has managed to keep the blog updated...and we're some of the less social cruisers!
Comments
Vessel Name: KIST
Vessel Make/Model: Fraser 41
Hailing Port: Bellingham WA
Crew: Kevin and Bonnie Peterson
About: Kevin and Bonnie hail from Bellingham Washington. Kevin is a special education teacher at Mount Baker High School in Deming Washington and Bonnie is a self employed project manager. We have two wonderful daughters and two very special grand daughters whom we are going to miss very much on our trip.

Who: Kevin and Bonnie Peterson
Port: Bellingham WA
Email: sailingkist@yahoo.com