** KYROS **

The Journey Begins

19 February 2014 | Haiti
19 February 2014 | Haiti
18 February 2014 | Haiti
17 February 2014 | Isla Beata, Dominican Republic
17 February 2014 | Isla Beata, Dominican Republic
17 February 2014 | Dominican Republic
17 February 2014 | Dominican Republic
17 February 2014 | Dominican Republic
17 February 2014 | Dominican Republic
17 February 2014
17 February 2014 | Dominican Republic
16 February 2014 | Dominican Republic
16 February 2014 | Dominican Republic
15 February 2014
15 February 2014 | Dominican Republic
15 February 2014 | Dominican Republic
15 February 2014 | Dominican Republic
15 February 2014 | Dominican Republic
15 February 2014 | Dominican Republic
15 February 2014

Caught us some dinner!

29 January 2013 | Antigua
Sailed back to Antigua and ended up in Rickett Harbour for the night. The next day we caught a good sized mahi mahi on our sail back to Falmouth.

Making Bread!!

28 January 2013 | Barbuda
Alot of cruisers bake their own bread, well today I dug my hands in and made my first loaf on the boat from scratch while under way. It turned out great!! I have always been intimidated by making bread, but this new recipe from Kathryn I think I can work with.

Barbuda Island - Caves

28 January 2013 | Barbuda
During our boat ride, Pat was full of information. There are two areas on the island that area named after hurricanes (Louis & Donna Mouth). He mentioned that before the early warning systems two different ways the people knew that a hurricane was coming were:
1) They kept a glass vile of oil from a shark’s liver in a dark corner. The oil would turn from clear to cloudy,
2) The leaves from the sugar apple tree would turn upside down.

Pat dropped us off at the village, where we took a taxi to checkout two caves. We then drove around the village and stopped for lunch at the Palm Restaurant. Lunch was good and the locals were so friendly. It was a little expensive for the boat ride and taxi but did not think that we would be back to Barbuda. We lifted anchor and headed south back to cocoa point.

Frigate Chicks

28 January 2013 | Barbuda
The male then stays with the chick while the mama fishes for the baby. The chicks are very small and fragile like a chicken when they are born. After three months the male leaves and the mama takes care of the chick until it is about seven months old. If you visit Barbuda during mating season I would highly recommend visiting the nesting area.

Hard working Males

28 January 2013 | Barbuda
During mating season the male attracts the female by blowing up a huge, bright red pouch under their throat. When a female comes close they flap their wings and make a drum beating sound with their beaks. Once a female has chosen a partner they work together to build a nest. The male sits on the egg for one month until it hatches.

Frigate Bird Nesting Area

28 January 2013 | Barbuda
Today we headed ashore to do an island tour. The first part of our day was a boat ride to see the Frigate Bird nesting area. Pat picked us up at Louis's mouth; it was alot of work to drag our dinghy up the steep shoreline. It was amazing how many birds there were in the sky and mangroves were so full.

Run Away Dinghy

27 January 2013 | Low Bay, Barbuda
We were the second boat to arrive at the Low Bay anchorage. Throughout the day a few charter cats joined us. A north swell was forecasted so we snugged up into the north corner. There is only a small strip of beach to separate the sea from the Codrington Lagoon. It was our lucky day - free internet!!

I was washing and polishing the sugar scoop and Marc was updating his sail log, when Marc noticed an unmanned dinghy driving around the bay. A second dinghy was kind of following it, but could not catch up with the empty dinghy as he only had a 5 hp engine. The dinghy went this way and then would turn and go that way, at one point I was worried it was heading for our boat. I asked Marc if we could put our dinghy down and go try to help. We have a larger engine so should be able to catch up with the run away. As we got in the water the dinghy started to head out to sea, we started to follow it and thankfully it turned, but was now heading for a reef. Once again it turned, away from the reef. Marc brought us up alongside the dinghy and I was able to grab a handle, reach into the boat and pulled out the key. We drug the dinghy to one of the boats in the anchorage as the cat that the dinghy belonged to was gone. I guess three of the guests tried to do a beach assault and one of the girls hurt her ankle and was taken to hospital, we think that when they got close to shore the dinghy turned sideways tipped and dumped the people and kept driving? Lesson here is to always tie the dinghy key to yourself so that the engine will stop dead if you fall out of the boat. Marc ties the key to his shorts. Rescuing a runaway dinghy, just another day of life on the water. Unfortunately I was not able to get a photo of the runaway dinghy.

Uncle Roddy's Lobster Lunch

26 January 2013 | Barbuda
If you plan to go to Uncle Roddy’s you must call ahead to request your lunch (785-3268). If Roddy has time, he will pick you up and drop you off at Cocoa Point. The fresh lobster lunch was very tasty and reasonable at $30 US a plate. We both were served a good sized lobster and then Roddy treated us and gave us a smaller lobster to share. If you are in this neck of the sea and are looking for an outing and some lunch Uncle Roddy's may be a good solution. Roddy offered to give us a ride back to Cocoa Point after lunch which we gladly accepted.

Life of Adventure

26 January 2013 | Barbuda
Along our walk we then had to scale an old gate for the K-Club to get onto the main road. Life is always full of adventure while exploring new islands, you never know what obstacle you might come across.

Roaming wildlife

26 January 2013 | Barbuda
We walked for an hour north to Uncle Roddy's for a lobster lunch. Along the way we came across two donkeys – too cute! Ashore donkeys, horses and deer roam the landscape. Barbuda was never a sugar plantation; it was used for growing livestock and root crops, and as a hunting ground.
Vessel Name: Kyros
Vessel Make/Model: 43' Fountaine Pajot
Crew: Marc & Tamara
About: We have decided to put business aside for awhile and focus on our quality of life, enjoying the sea and sailing and just get out of the day to day rat race. Life is too short!!
Extra: We are hoping this sail blog will help us to keep in touch with family and friends during our adventure.

KYROS

Who: Marc & Tamara