Kormoran of Dart

and when she eventually gets to Cape Town, to be renamed......

13 January 2018 | cape town
15 April 2015 | cape town
16 October 2014 | cape town
16 October 2014 | cape town
15 October 2014 | cape town
24 September 2014 | cape town
14 July 2014 | cape town
05 July 2014 | cape town
16 June 2014 | cape town
05 June 2014 | Cape Town
12 March 2014 | cape town
04 February 2014 | cape town
29 October 2013 | Cape Town
02 September 2013 | cape town
18 August 2013 | cape town
13 July 2013 | cape town
01 June 2013 | cape Town
30 May 2013 | Cape Town
24 May 2013 | Cape Town
18 May 2013 | Cape Town

1 Step Forward

13 July 2013 | cape town
steve
So much for the 3 to 4 week updates : )

Well since the last post, things have moved along significantly.
That is of course if you consider 20 steps backwards 'moving along'.

When we left of, the stern tube was being 'looked at'.

Since then, black water was discovered when the tube was being cleaned....and it was coming from somewhere inside !!
After lots of scratching and digging, 'it' was found - a funny area of steelwork over the tube, as if the tube had been boxed in making it inaccessible, right at the plating.
This got the surveyor looking cross eyed make no mistake !

Instructions are given to open up....only to find that the entire area is filled with foam and what looks like a rubber matting material. The foam etc is eventually removed, only to find that the tube is embedded / covered in solid tar !
It can only be guessed that the previous owner realized that there was a problem, and instead of repairing it properly, covered it up knowing it would be someone else's problem eventually.

Prognosis is that we could possibly leave it for about 3 to 5 years, and then it would become a real issue.....or, we bite the bullet and fix it correctly.

In the meantime, the external finishing had commenced and was moving along swimmingly......until they happened to come across some rust at the aft lazerette just at the rudder shaft mounting / backing plates.......above the waterline !

What is found is that inside the lazerette, right underneath the backing plate for the rudder shaft, had been filled with tar and concealed. Subsequently, the limber holes had been closed and water had accumulated over time, resulting in....a degree of rusting.

Fortunately this did not seem to phase most toooo much....more of an 'agh dammit moment'. The surveyor on the other hand, 'suggested' that the rudder gets pulled for inspection.

Oh boy !
In the words of the surveyor "....The rudder stock will have to be replaced. This is in to poor a condition and is dangerous to keep...."

So, about 15 days behind schedule, we eventually manage to get the hoist to lift 28T of boat to drop the rudder etc.....only to find the aft steel water flow attachment thingy was in the way, and was impossible to remove......so we end up having to cut the rudder shaft.....

I don't know if I want to wail loudly, scream, or go curl up under the bed gibbering quietly to myself !

For images see Favorites '20 Steps Back'


It MUST start getting better at some point......mustn't' it......?
Comments
Vessel Name: Kormoran of Dart
Vessel Make/Model: Allan Pape 50 - currently undergoing a smallish refurb......
About: Steve - general layabout and occasional worker. Giselle - long suffering provider, home maker, wife and companion. Adam - the welp (who is coming into his own) !