Life aboard in the NE And the work continues!

Now living aboard full time while I make repairs, refits, getting her ready for the long cruise.

09 December 2013 | Piers Marina Philadelphia
09 December 2013 | Piers Marina
25 November 2013 | Piers marina
22 November 2013 | Piers Marina Philadelphia
26 August 2013 | PIERS MARINA - PHILADELPHIA
05 August 2013 | PIERS MARINA - PHILADELPHIA
19 June 2013 | always Riverside, NJ
16 June 2013 | Riverside, NJ
15 June 2013 | Still in Riverside, Nj
18 May 2013 | Corsica River
22 February 2013
18 February 2013
11 February 2013 | Same!
05 February 2013 | Riverside, NJ
14 November 2012 | Still at Riverside NJ
16 October 2012 | Horta - Azores
04 October 2012 | Riverside NJ
02 October 2012 | Riverside NJ
24 September 2012 | Riverside, NJ

Bilge - Part2

02 October 2012 | Riverside NJ
Roland
Finally have no water in the bilge! A milestone for any boat owner of an older boat! As I mentioned in my last blog, I always had water in the bilge especially after a heavy rain storm, I believe and now know it was due to the cockpit floor. It's a remove-able floor which gives me great access to the engine, steering mechanics and more, but it was held in place with screws, which as we all know don't really like to be tighten and loosened repeatedly in fiberglass. They just never really hold. Plus with planning on going off shore again, I definitely wanted to make sure I had a good seal.

I also replace the weather seal but even that didn't help. So I decided to add cam latches! I had one from years again and was getting ready to sell it on ebay when I realized I could use it for the floor. Brought 3 more and then the work began.
Photobucket

I need to add some thickness to the floor - forgot to take a picture- but glassed up about 8 layers for heavy cloth in a mold 3"x16". Once cured I cut it up into 4 sections. Epoxied it to the under side of the floor where I would be attaching the latches. Here's the floor sanded ready to attach the thickening blocks.
Photobucket

And positioning the latch where it would cam against the floor frame. You can see how the latch bar will rotate around to pull the floor to the frame.
Photobucket

Next I drilled the hole for where the cam would go and made a pattern to rout out a hollow area for the body of the latch to set into the floor. Set up wooden spacing blocks because the floor had a couple of stringers and I couldn't lay the router flat on the floor.
Photobucket

Routed out the recess's -
Photobucket

Photobucket

Added some butyl to seal the latch and screwed it down.
Photobucket

Grinded down some of the area around where the latch would press against the frame creating a cam effect to totally tighten the floor down. You can see how the 1" weather stripping is flatten with no light showing through, you can also now see the glass block I epoxied to the floor for added thickness.
Photobucket

Floor done, in place, tight and waterproof. Next spring when the teak grating is done I will paint the floor and cockpit sides.
Photobucket
Comments
Vessel Name: Kodachrome
Vessel Make/Model: Nassau 34
Crew: Roland
Kodachrome's Photos - Main
Building my new bowsprit
9 Photos
Created 25 November 2013
Finally got launched and back in the water
4 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
Photos of the process of making my molded instrument panel for the cockpit
9 Photos
Created 22 February 2013
First couple of repairs
4 Photos
Created 9 December 2011
From Rock Hall to Riverside our late fall trip
16 Photos
Created 7 November 2011

Who: Roland