Koeketiene on Tour

Going places - one day at a time

A boat and a beer.

The survey did not exactly give the boat a clean bill of health, but there were no showstoppers either.
Apart from the sails and prop (which I mentioned earlier) the engine gearbox is cause for concern. Some water and metallic residue in the gearbox oil. This could be due to the fact that the boat hadn't been sailed for at least two years. The surveyor recommended a new oil analysis within a couple of months to see if anything fundamental is amiss.
The absolutely perfect boat does not exist, so we decided to take the plunge. Let's live a little.
Next on the agenda: a new name for the boat (as I did not care for the one she had one bit).
I am aware of all the superstition surrounding the renaming of boats, but we had renamed all of previous and no harm has ever come to us.
She will be Koeketiene.
It's a slang word from my home town of Ghent (Belgium).
It has it origins in the early 19th century.
When Napoleon returned from Elba, the French monarch Louis XVIII fled Paris and took refuge with his court in Ghent.
Not only did he bring with him his queen, he also brought his concubines.
This word was picked up and became 'koeketiene' in Ghent patois.
A term used to describe 'the significant woman in your life, other than your wife'.
Your bit on the side, if you will.
The word also has another meaning.
In cards, 'koeke' is Ghent slang for diamonds and 'tien' is ten.
So, koeketiene can also mean 'ten of diamonds'.
And much to my surprise, I later learned there's a beer of the same name.
Next on the to-do list: admin. Sorting registration, insurance, radio licence. etc ... That, and getting quotes for the jobs I want doing prior to launch.
Interesting times ahead.

Comments