Koeketiene on Tour

Going places - one day at a time

Delivery cruise: Day 1 & 2

One step closer to home.
A short summary of day 1 & 2 of our delivery cruise.

Yesterday was a mixed bag.
Lots of locks. Haven't done those in 15 years, and in a new to me boat is was 'challenging'. No-one died, but not good for the heart.
Major surprise: due to Covid19, the bridges on the Middelburg/Walcheren canal now only open every 4 hours.
So, spent over 3 hours in Middleburg waiting for a bridge to open.
Opening bridges can get you Covid19: who knew?
Once locked out in Flushing got hit by a brisk 30kts on the nose.
Still, made Breskens in one piece (the primary aim of this trip is to get home in 1 piece).

Left at sparrowfart in the morning and made Ostend just before lunch.
Wind against tide. Lumpy trip.
Motoring only.
I was just too cold, tired and wet to bother with tacking along the Belgian coast. Just wanted the passage over and done with.
Hopefully get some sailing in soon.
One of those trips where you end up thinking: why did I not take up snooker?
Only sailed because the next day was going to be even worse and crew has a Eurostar to catch on Friday.
Weather permitting, next stop Nieuwpoort on Friday or Saturday (need fuel).
Then Boulogne where I will decide if I proceed along the UK south coast, or continue on to Normandy.

In the words of my youngest: people don't think it be like it be, but it do.

Comments