Koeketiene on Tour

Going places - one day at a time

Summer Cruise 2021: Day 3

Decissions, decissions, ...
After almost a week of virtually no wind, it now seems that too much wind is heading our way.

One option (my preffered option) would be to shoot over to Port Tudy/Groix and spend some time there while we wait out the 'not so nice' weather. This was however vetoed by the XO as she was not keen to get stuck there for a while should the blow last longer than predicted. Unlike me, she's still cursed by this thing called 'work'.

So, straight home it was then.
The forecast was not ideal. NW 10kts (bang on the nose) at first backing W later and increasing 20kts. We play the hand we are dealt.

Once out at sea we soon found that the forecast was only partially correct: the NW bit was spot on, but the wind had already increased to 15kts +. Motorsailing dead into the wind made for pretty slow progress over the ground. Steep seas made the ride very uncomfortable too. XO retired down below.

Did not fancy the lumpy ride on my own, so set a course WSW, put a reef in the main, unfurled the jib and switched off the engine.
We might not be heading straight for home, but I was quietly confident that we would get there in good time. The sailing was brisk but the boat motion was relatively comfortable.
Happy days.

By early afternoon, I tacked and set a course NW. With any luck we'd get home on this tack. And lady luck was indeed with us. Soon Les Glenan loomed on the horizon. Zoomed past them in no time. Speed over the ground was an impressive (for us) 8kts + for a couple of hours. Did make up for some of the slow going earlier today.

Picked up our moorning late afternoon without any drama and headed for home. XO was well rested.

Our cruise was (a lot) shorter than I had hoped and planned, but it was better than no sailing at all. Be grateful for small mercies.

Comments