South Pacific Impressions

22 June 2008 | chinook
13 June 2008 | chinook
04 June 2008 | chinook
02 June 2008 | chinook
24 May 2008 | chinook
22 May 2008 | chinook
14 May 2008 | chinook
09 May 2008 | chinook
03 May 2008 | chinook
25 April 2008 | chinook
14 April 2008 | chinook
14 April 2008 | chinook
14 April 2008 | chinook
28 March 2008 | chinook
25 March 2008 | chinook
23 March 2008 | chinook
20 March 2008 | chinook
18 March 2008 | chinook
18 March 2008 | chinook
14 March 2008 | chinook

Fakarava

14 May 2008 | chinook
David/Candy
Ia ora na. Another successful pass and a squeak over a shallow channel to get to our anchorage. The navigation guide assured us that a draft of under 3 meters could handle it and it was not being conservative - our depth meter read 9 feet (we go aground at 7) as we were halfway along negotiating this shallow reef. But here we are anchored close to the south pass of Fakarava (Tumakohua Pass, village of Tetamanu) and it is another spectacular anchorage to ourselves. The snorkeling here is awesome if one can get used to the sharks. We have a group of about 7 black tip reef sharks who like to hang out around the boat and we haven't had a snorkel yet without seeing numerous black tip reefs and several white tip reefs. We're beginning to just accept the fact that they're our buddies. However, we have also seen a large silver tip and a large grey reef shark, both of which can be aggressive and dangerous. These two I would be happy never to see again but I doubt if we'll be that lucky. And I was so excited to see my first shark! But each dive brings new colorful fish to identify and the parrot fish are spectacular - in color, size and variety. Today we've been invited to lunch by Manihi, a local English speaker who has a pension. We're looking forward to picking his brain about the local lore and hopefully to arrange the illusive tour of a pearl farm. The Tuomotu have captured us and we may have a hard time leaving for the Societies. Fakarava deserves several more days and there are two more atolls we'd like to visit. Stay tuned for next update! Parahi.

---------- radio email processed by SailMail for information see: http://www.sailmail.com
Comments
Vessel Name: Chinook
Vessel Make/Model: Saga 43
Hailing Port: Evergreen Colorado
Crew: David and Candy

South Pacific Impressions

Who: David and Candy
Port: Evergreen Colorado