South Pacific Impressions

22 June 2008 | chinook
13 June 2008 | chinook
04 June 2008 | chinook
02 June 2008 | chinook
24 May 2008 | chinook
22 May 2008 | chinook
14 May 2008 | chinook
09 May 2008 | chinook
03 May 2008 | chinook
25 April 2008 | chinook
14 April 2008 | chinook
14 April 2008 | chinook
14 April 2008 | chinook
28 March 2008 | chinook
25 March 2008 | chinook
23 March 2008 | chinook
20 March 2008 | chinook
18 March 2008 | chinook
18 March 2008 | chinook
14 March 2008 | chinook

Sad Goodbyes

13 June 2008 | chinook
David/Candy
Ia ora na.

Chinook has been on the move and keeping busy since last update. After a very rolly but quick overnight crossing from Moorea to Huahine, we set the anchor between the two passes into the lagoon and caught up on some sleep. The next day was squally with quite a bit of wind and, since our anchor was continually grinding on dead coral heads, we decided to motor down the channel for 7 miles to the bay on the south end of the island. This was one of the most beautiful, tranquil spots in the entire trip. The bay is huge and there were only around 5 boats anchored - good thing because all the boats were swinging 360s randomly. We spent two nights there before heading back north to the village of Fare which is a delightful, quint little town with a fabulous grocery. Huahine was supposed to be a short stopover before heading to Bora Bora but it's charm captured us and we ended up staying for 5 days, enjoying every minute even thought the weather wasn't perfect. Our plans to head for Taha'a then Bora Bora were interrupted by an emergency with one of our friends since Mexico. He became seriously ill with what they (he and his wife are both nurses) believe is congestive heart failure so we sailed to Raiatea to help them haul their boat and put her to bed in longterm storage. Our thoughts are with them as they hurry their way to their home in New Zealand for medical care. THis was an extremely sad goodbye for the four of us but we hope to see them next year in the Society Islands, all healthy and happy and ready for another sailing season. We are now in Bora Bora, a truly spectacularly gorgeous island. Mount Otemanu rises dramatically out of the ocean and can be seen at sea for many miles. Our first night we took a mooring by Bloody Mary's, a legendary bar and restaurant where we couldn't resist having dinner. Bloody Mary's is reputed to be the first restaurant on the island, now one of many. This is the playground of the ultra-rich and famous; many hugely expensive hotels with over-water bungalows and all the over-the-top extravagances one could think of;. Our pleasure in Bora Bora lies in sitting at anchor in crystal clear water, either snorkeling or gazing up at Mr. Otemanu. Currently, we're experiencing some pretty squally weather; we hope it will clear up before time requires us to leave and head to Taha'a. Time is running out - so many places, so much to do and so little time.

Parahi.

---------- radio email processed by SailMail for information see: http://www.sailmail.com
Comments
Vessel Name: Chinook
Vessel Make/Model: Saga 43
Hailing Port: Evergreen Colorado
Crew: David and Candy

South Pacific Impressions

Who: David and Candy
Port: Evergreen Colorado