Kristinly

38' Island Packet cutter rigged sailboat - sailed 20,000 nautical miles from New England to the Bahamas. Now with new owners Tim & Susan Tiefenbach

17 June 2013 | Mallets Bay, VT
05 July 2012 | West Pont, NY
02 July 2012 | Brigantine Shoals near Little Egg Inlet, NJ
30 June 2012 | Reedy Island, Delaware River
26 June 2012 | Antipoison Creek, VA
23 June 2012 | Burlington, VT
28 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
27 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
26 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
25 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
24 March 2012 | South of Norfolk, VA
23 March 2012 | Elizabeth City, NC
22 March 2012 | Cedar Creek, NC
21 March 2012 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
20 March 2012 | Little River, NC
18 March 2012 | South Santee River, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
16 March 2012 | NE of Savannah, GA

Savannah, GA N32° 04.883' W81° 05.330'

03 May 2009 | 32 04.883N 81 05.330W
Randy
For those of you who have asked numerous times for pictures of dolphins, here they are. Sorry there are so many, but I wanted to try to show what it was like yesterday when these guys came to visit. There is no way the still photos can even come close to the real thing, and I wish I had had a movie camera, but here is what I got. I have seen a lot of dolphins on this trip, but experienced nothing quite like yesterday. These guys rode the bow wave for over an hour. That was when I went back to the cockpit. But they also left and came back several times. There were several groups at dusk that showed up, one of which consisted of at least a dozen, who were much smaller than the typical adults. I don't know if they were a different species or just a group of adolescents "cruising". But they were fast and jumped all the way out of the water a lot. I think they do that to see what is going on above the surface. Last night was unique in that I heard dolphins surface right next to me in the cockpit all night long. It was very dark and I could not see them but could hear them blow. It felt as if they were escorting me, or keeping me company. When I was sitting on the bow sprit watching them swim with the boat, they would turn on their sides a lot and get very close to the surface and look up at me. They were so playful. Their agility and speed is awesome. I titled one of the pictures, "One minute you think you're alone, and then you realize you're not", and I think that is the way it is out here. I am sure there have been dolphins around me like that before, but I just wasn't paying attention. And then I get that is the way life is. Another good reminder to always be present and enjoy and appreciate what I have. This was actually a very powerful experience, very moving and emotional for me some how.

All of that aside, I traveled 149 nm in 28 hours yesterday. Motored the first 25 nm, then the wind picked up from the south and Kristinly was on a run all night. Sailed at 6.5 - 7 kts nearly all night with just the main sail. A great trip and will now hang here in Savannah for a couple of days. I would like to rest up a bit after sailing 2 of the last three nights without any sleep. I also have a couple of projects on the boat to take care of. One of which is I need to send in my "new" laptop to Toshiba AGAIN. Hard drive last time, this time, half of the keyboard just quit working. Sooooo, I am back on the old laptop again, which is truly on its last leg. If you don't hear from me for a week or so, it will be because the old one finally bit the big one and I am still waiting to get the new one back.

Comments
Vessel Name: Kristinly
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38, hull #83
Hailing Port: Mallets Bay, VT
Crew: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary

Kristinly

Who: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary
Port: Mallets Bay, VT