Kristinly

38' Island Packet cutter rigged sailboat - sailed 20,000 nautical miles from New England to the Bahamas. Now with new owners Tim & Susan Tiefenbach

17 June 2013 | Mallets Bay, VT
05 July 2012 | West Pont, NY
02 July 2012 | Brigantine Shoals near Little Egg Inlet, NJ
30 June 2012 | Reedy Island, Delaware River
26 June 2012 | Antipoison Creek, VA
23 June 2012 | Burlington, VT
28 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
27 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
26 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
25 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
24 March 2012 | South of Norfolk, VA
23 March 2012 | Elizabeth City, NC
22 March 2012 | Cedar Creek, NC
21 March 2012 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
20 March 2012 | Little River, NC
18 March 2012 | South Santee River, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
16 March 2012 | NE of Savannah, GA

Long drive to the marina

26 June 2012 | Antipoison Creek, VA
Randy
It was a long 12 hour drive, made longer by a couple of traffic delays caused by who knows what. This picture shows what happens when your RV catches fire just as you are entering the bridge into Maryland. Traffic had to be backed up 20 miles, or something like that. We spent the next two days recommissioning Kristinly and launched her as planned on Tuesday and motored 12 nm to Antipoison Creek,where we spent two hours at anchor finishing reinstalling the mainsail.

Just as we were approaching the anchorage, the engine sputtered and died. I have had a problem with air getting into the fuel line recently, which is a bad thing for a diesel engine. Anyway, I was able to restart the engine and we anchored for the evening. When I went to start the engine the next morning to leave, nothing. Thinking the primary and secondary fuel filters may have plugged with crud from the tank after sitting for 3 months, I set about changing them. After that was complete, I tried to prime the filters and no fuel ... Duh, I had forgotten to reopen the fuel shutoff valve at the fuel tank, which I always close when laying the boat up for extended periods of time. After opening the valve and priming the filters, she immediately started back up. About that time, Nikki mentioned that it might be a good idea to have check lists for both decommissioning and commissioning the boat. One would think I would have done that by now, especially considering I usually forget something that leads to a similar experience such as this one. Nobody has ever accused me of being the sharpest knife in the drawer ...

The footnote to this is I am surprised the engine ran for nearly 2 hours on just the fuel in the line. It must have been able suction a little fuel past the valve, or something like that. ALso, I am pretty sure the air we infiltrating the line at the primary fuel filter as it no longer is happening after changing the filters. Yaaaayyy!
Comments
Vessel Name: Kristinly
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38, hull #83
Hailing Port: Mallets Bay, VT
Crew: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary

Kristinly

Who: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary
Port: Mallets Bay, VT