KWITCHERBITCHEN

Whitby 42 Ketch - Anything is possible once you make the commitment.

11 May 2008 | Man O War Cay
11 May 2008 | Marsh Harbour
20 April 2008 | Green Turtle to Marsh Harbour
20 April 2008 | Green Turtle Cay
15 April 2008 | Manjack Cay to Green Turtle Cay
15 April 2008 | Great Sale Cay to Manjack Cay
05 April 2008 | December 5, 2007 Wednesday Lake Sylvia to West End, Grand Bahamas
05 April 2008 | Las Olas Boulevard Fort Lauderdale
05 April 2008
05 April 2008 | Museum of Discovery and Science in Fort Lauderdale
05 April 2008 | Museum of Discovery and Science in Fort Lauderdale
05 April 2008 | Museum of Discovery and Science in Fort Lauderdale
05 April 2008 | Sylvia Lake to Cooley�s Landing Marina
05 April 2008 | Lake Worth to Sylvia Lake, Fort Lauderdale, FL
05 April 2008 | Faber Cove, Causeway Island to Lake Worth, Fort Pierce, FL
05 April 2008 | Vero Beach, FL to Faber Cove, Causeway Island, Fort Pierce
05 April 2008 | Cocoa, FL to Vero Beach, FL
05 April 2008 | Cocoa, FL
05 April 2008 | Addison Point to Cocoa, FL
05 April 2008 | Haul Over Canal

The socks are back on

04 April 2008 | St. Augustine to Rockhouse Creek
November 6,2007

Kelly and I awake at 5AM for an early departure. A pot of coffee is perking on the stove a few minutes later. We listen to the NOAA weather report on the VHF radio and plan our route on the chart. After a simple breakfast we are underway by 7AM.

The morning air is relatively chilly and I put socks on for the first time since June. This seems crazy, isn't Florida supposed to be warm? Around 10AM Kelly decides to fix the main sail's cover straps. They have long tails hanging from the buckles that flail around in the wind and look sloppy. It reminds him of the kids that wear a belt around their waist that is about a foot too long. Each strap gets cut, heat sealed with a lighter then hand stitched at the end so the buckle can't slide off. This job takes a couple of hours to complete. Kelly reminds me that he would have liked to bring the sewing machine to do this job. Believe me there is no room for one. Kristen is up on deck watching the birds all around us, while Danielle is lying on her bunk organizing her stuffed animals.

We have approximately 5 more hours until we reach the waypoint near the entrance to Ponce De Leon Inlet! Today is just a day sail. All the sails are up and pulling, but there is not enough wind to maintain enough speed to reach our planned destination before sunset so we are motor sailing. We arrive at our waypoint for the Ponce De Leon inlet around 3:30PM. The waypoint is about a mile offshore where we make a turn to starboard and proceed to follow the channel markers towards shore. We make our way past a long breakwater and then turn to port following the barrier beach channel southbound past beautiful homes. There were signs posted warning boaters to keep a lookout for manatees. Unfortunately none were insight. We made another sharp turn to starboard into a channel that connects with the ICW. Once we reach the ICW we turn to starboard again and head north for a � mile to Rockhouse creek. We anchored here for the night, with a catamaran, a trawler and another sailboat.

There were a lot of insects here so we lit a mosquito coil. Along with the bugs there were a lot of interesting birds flying around and fishing. Nearby there is a small airport with several small planes taking off and landing. The planes capture Kelly's attention, I'm sure he misses flying. He tries his hand at fishing, and he catches a foot long fish that looks similar to a bluefish. He lets Kristen real it in. She enjoyed doing that. The girls play on the computer for a bit while I talk with Cindy on the cell phone. We have dinner then Danielle studies for her History test. History is not her favorite subject, but she knows she has to complete it. We watch some TV and then head for bed.
Comments
Vessel Name: KWITCHERBITCHEN
Vessel Make/Model: Whitby 42 Ketch
Hailing Port: Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts
Crew: Kelly Gregg
About:
Debra, Danielle and Kristen Gregg. The kids have been raised on the boat during the New England sailing season. Danielle was about 4 months old when her sailing career started while Kristen was just 2 days old. [...]
Extra:
It was the summer of 2001 when we were bored and found ourselves riding around in the car going from one marina to the next looking at other people's boats. It must have been a lousy sailing day for us not to be out and about somewhere on our own boat. Then, there it was, sitting on the hard with [...]

KWITCHERBITCHEN

Who: Kelly Gregg
Port: Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts